What's new

Is Keanu Reeves really that bad of an actor? (2 Viewers)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
:laugh: Yeah dude, like I'm a total English bloke!

I thought I had read a long time ago that Will Smith turned down the role of Neo before Keanu was offered it...I'm not so sure he was even second choice, there may have been a couple others as well...so much for being "The One" :D

-Dennis

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't have time to look for a quote, but I did read that though the Brothers were wary of the idea of Keanu as Neo, when he came in to meet them he had pages of notes that he had made from the script. He'd caught and looked up several of the biblical, mythological and philosophical references in the story. He'd done his homework far beyond any other actor they'd talked to. Reeves understood the characters of both Thomas Anderson and Neo. They were highly impressed.

As much as ignorant people like to saddle him with his Ted persona, as if that wasn't just a role he once (twice) played, Keanu Reeves is a very intelligent person.

No one else could have been Neo. No one.

I think he's a fine actor. Not brilliant, not like Sean Penn, but decent. As others have said, when the right role comes along, he shines. He was great in The Gift, and I don't understand how anyone can say he wasn't. Bland?? Whatever. I thought his character was truly frightening, and he more than held his own next to Cate Blanchett.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I always thought he was perfect in Matrix (series) and honestly can't picture the movie with someone else as Neo.
I liked him in Bill and Teds, Speed, and Devils Ad. as well

Gotta love those fellow Canadians :D
Jon

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I think anyone would have said "WHOA" when the vampire babes appeared...especially when one of them is Monica Belucci! Damn, I need to go re-watch that scene
I think his acting ability can be summarized by the need to have a scene in most of his movies, where he has a blank stare and says "WHOA!".

Seriously, I liked him in most of his "fun" movies. He just doesnt do well at serious stuff. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Nick

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I do agree with Vickie that Keanu is a lot smarter than most filmfans give him credit for. That does not make him a great actor, but it does make him not the pretty surfer boy many like to picture.

He was excellent as Neo in both films. And again, I can't imagine another actor giving so much for a film, like he did for Reloaded (and I assume, Revolutions). I appreciated that commitment, as it shows on-screen.

Take care,
Chuck

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I'm with Rahul in regards to Keanu's personality and character. Giving up parts of his salary to others for the betterment of the movie is an important thing. However, I'm still of the opinion that as an actor, he's very limited (not necessarily bad in his case though).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Keanu is no more limited or wooden than John Wayne, Heston, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, or any number of other huge stars.

So he's no Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, or Gary Oldman, he doesn't pretend to be anything other than what he is.

The very title of this thread is basically an invitation for all the "cineastes" to jump all over the guy for having the temerity to continue to have a successful "Hollywood Career."

It should be remembered that without the "hollywood dreck" there would be no film industry to support the more worthy efforts of actors and directors the general public rightly or wrongly avoid like a plague of rubber frogs falling from the sky.

While I enjoy "cinema" as much as the next guy, I also love a good popcorn flick, though I have managed to avoid the Charlie's Angels movies so far.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I meant he doesn't pretend to be a great thespian, and you know it, Jason.

He's never made any pretense of being a "great Actor."

I repeat, this thread is just a "hey, let's all jump on a popular hollywood star for not being a pretentious snob" fest.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
While I enjoy "cinema" as much as the next guy, I also love a good popcorn flick
Which reminds me - we haven't had the "summer movies don't have to be dreck where you have to 'check your brain at the door'" discussion yet this year, have we? I guess it's just been an unusually strong summer.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

except that the others mentioned usually exhibited some personality to make up for their thespian shortcomings.

Arthur MR

Auditioning
For me, in My Own Private Idaho Reeves was pretty good as actor...before an after that movie he began to choose awful roles, maybe except Matrix...but as an actor he is even bad in Matrix

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Which reminds me - we haven't had the "summer movies don't have to be dreck where you have to 'check your brain at the door'" discussion yet this year, have we? I guess it's just been an unusually strong summer.
Shhh... don't say it out loud, you might get them started.

--
Holadem

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Luckily DeCaprio doesn't have anything in current release or we'd have a similar thread going on him.

James T

Screenwriter
IMO, to be a good actor means you fully understand Shakespeare and can easily manipulate the character so that you're no longer just reading off a piece of paper. Keanu, even with all those honours in high school/university for drama, doesn't look like he fully understands the script that's given to him. If you can do a Shakespeare play without making yourself look like a fool, then you've done a good job.

On a similar topic,someone mentioned Edward Norton as a great actor and I really can't understand why. I've seen a lot of Ed Norton movies, just beacause the movie interested me and not the actor, but I haven't been impressed with his acting ability.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, as others have stated, Keanu IS Neo. Some things were meant to be, and there's just no sense denying or trying to rationalize it. What Keanu brings to the role is a cool, yet humble and goofy as hell persona that is the embodiment of Neo. I mean, who else could look so laughably goofy doing his little kung fu stances yet have the audience totally buy into him as "The One" at the same time? And that shot of Neo putting on those sunglasses with Keanu giving us that silly grin - classic stuff. I just can't imagine anybody else in that role.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Which may say more about your imagination than Reeves' ability.
No need to take personal shots there, although I'll accept that insult as tongue-in-cheek. Nevertheless, you're partially right - I was never really commenting on Reeve's acting ability, which I think is simply adequate for the roles his picks. Fair enough?

But to say that Keanu is the most replaceable actor in the Matrix is pretty absurd, in my opinion. Maybe someone else could have pulled off the role from the beginning, but after seeing Reeve's work in the first Matrix movie, yes, I can't imagine anybody else fitting in the role of Neo. What Reeve's brings to the role is the feeling of complete absurdity that this guy is actually "The One", yet he does it in a way that is stylish and cool, and ultimately believable. Who cares about his limited acting range - the guy, no matter how bad the delivery might be from a traditional acting standpoint, for whatever that means, simply fits well into certain roles, such as Point Break, Speed, and above all else, Neo.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
But to say that Keanu is the most replaceable actor in the Matrix is pretty absurd, in my opinion.
No, that would be Marcus Chong. :D
Well, I think Keanu is a horrible actor, he's good in certain roles. But, just like I would not want to see John Wayne or Arnold Schwarzenegger in Hamlet, neither did I want to see Keanu Reeves in Much Ado About Nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks