What's new

Is Keanu Reeves really that bad of an actor? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There are plenty of highly regarded young actors around (Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhall) who have not demonstrated any more "range" than Keanu Reeves has as far as different types of characterizations.

This is not to say they're bad actors, they are very good at the parts they do play. It's just that most of the characters they've played have been pretty much interchangeable. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the characterizations Maguire played in Cider House Rules and Spiderman.

Reeves was good in The Gift, and that part was much more of a departure from his usual characters than any Maguire or Gyllenhall have attempted.

I strongly disagree that the character of Neo in the Matrix films was a throwaway, or that anyone else could have taken over the role in the sequels and been believable.

Reeves doesn't mug at the camera and may not be the most effective cryer in Hollywood, but he does demonstrate a certain integrity in his performances and in his personal life that I find admirable. We don't see him trumpeting his latest adventures in rehab or flaunting his romantic exploits all over the tabloids.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I agree that his role in 'The Gift' was his most powerful to-date. I like the roles he chooses, and I think he has been effective in all of them.

Bill

chris rick

Second Unit
"There are way better actors (like Sean Penn) who are jerks"

LOL, you're kidding, right? Just why is this guy a jerk, because he stays outside of the Hollywood mainstream and doesn't make garbage like Charlie's Angels 2 or From Justin to Kelly? What has this guy ever done to make people think he is a jerk--is it that he lambasts Hollywood and the moneymaking machine that churns out trash like Charlie's Angels or (yet another one) Legally Blonde 2? I remember last year (or maybe it was earlier this year, dunno) when Penn made the statement that you can't make a movie that is in any way thought provoking these days--and he's right on the money. It is a disgrace that a large portion of my generation (no, not many here on HTF, obviously) raised on trash like Charlie's Angels and reality television don't even recognize the names Kurosowa, Lean, Or Kubrick. More power to Sean Penn for having the balls to say and do what he does.

Keannu Reeves sucks by the way--sure he's alright in roles that fit him (No I can't think of anyone else playing NEO, but I don't think that's really a good thing, know what I mean?), that's one thing--but he is a terrible actor with absolutely 0 acting range. His delivery is as monotonous and uninteresting as any other actor I can think of. Dracula, anyone?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I mean, who came out of The Matrix saying "wow, Keanu Reeves was awesome in that movie!"?
I did. I think he was perfect for the role, especially in the first 2 acts as the incredulous hero-to-be reluctantly waking up to a horrifying reality. On the other hand, what a chick like Trinity sees in his character is beyond me. I would think you need more personality (AKA Testosterone) to even appear on her radar...

--
Holadem

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, The Matrix is very much the epitome of geek wish fullfillment, and Trinity embodies the tougher-then-you bad-ass best freind the less agoraphobic friends geeks have.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
What has this guy ever done to make people think he is a jerk--is it that he lambasts Hollywood and the moneymaking machine that churns out trash like Charlie's Angels or (yet another one) Legally Blonde 2? I remember last year (or maybe it was earlier this year, dunno) when Penn made the statement that you can't make a movie that is in any way thought provoking these days--and he's right on the money.
Translation: Arrogant. He dismisses
"ordinary" people as stupid and any movie they like as the same. Then, goes on to make pretentious crap and basically tells you that if you don't like it the problem is with you. Plus, the assault conviction doesn't help. Contrast this Keanu Reeves, who has not only shown an uncanny ability to handle his career (ie commercial know-how), but seems to be generally regarded by audiences and the industry as a nice guy (ie good to work with, further helping his career). Seems to be much more fruitful.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I like a lot of his films and when he's doing something like The Matrix I don't have any problem with his acting.

But he's in a film with real actors - like in Much Ado About Nothing, he gets his ass wooped by just about everybody else in the cast list, including the guy who makes the make-up lady's tea.

I agree that his role in 'The Gift' was his most powerful to-date
Agreed, but I still thought he was the weakest actor in a film populated by far superior thesps.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
In his review of The Matrix Reloaded, Andrew Sarris made the point that Reeves' "coolness," so to speak helps the very weighty film stay afloat. Disagree or not, here is the review.

chris rick

Second Unit
Sean Penn wants us to appreciate pretentious bullcrap or else it must be that we are not as capable of understanding true cinema--is that the vibe he gives off? At Close Range, Dead Man Walking, directing The Pledge--those are pretentious? I suggest anyone here criticize his work in Dead Man Walking and tell me that it is not an amazing performance in a film that is not in the least bit preachy--but rather one that allows its viewers to judge the soul of his character. It is funny to me that a guy can come along and seem arrogant in a (no offense here, I'm not trying to sound elitist-but I'm sure I'll get flamed anyway) film universe (and sadly, a society) that rewards mediocrity. People don't like this guy because he says what's right; and yes he is bound to offend some by making it seem that he is in some ways elitist through his comments!

Look at the **** Hollywood rewards at Oscar time every year--Chicago as Best Picture, Gladiator as Best Picture, A Beautiful Mind--oh sure they're good films--watchable. These are not however the films that the highest awards should be bestowed upon. They are SAFE films with A List stars in big roles, and quite frankly I'm tired of people acting as if the Oscars get more right than wrong. Does anyone else other than me feel that The Pianist's wins this past year were there to liven up a show that was inevitably going to have a terrible film take home the big prize. And ironically, then you have those who say, "Well to those who feel the Oscars never have any surprises, wahla!" That is just hilarious! These awards, like Penn says, reward mediocrity. It is not difficult to reward a film that maintains the status quo, that achieves mediocrity. Let us see the day when Requiem For A Dream, Fight Club, or dozens of other films that fall outside the mainstream win a major award of any kind. Why can't we balance this list a little bit? The selection of the award winners come Oscar time is a disease that is directly related to what Penn is talking about. If it is pretentious to call the selection of Chicago as Best Picture ****, then so be it. It is garbage that any idiot with an eye for the spectacle could have made, and it in no way challenges its viewers to reflect, let alone think. Look, I like popcorn flicks too--but there is no balance now--mediocre films have overtaken true art both at the box office and at the Oscars. We need some real films to have real grosses and win some awards--that is what he is talking about. I'm sure by saying "real" I will offend many, so I'll just post a disclaimer saying that I guess I am an elitist p**** in some ways.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When discussing actors, why do people inevitably bring in actors' personal lives and of-screen personalities? Frankly, by my observations, talented artists tend to be odd, difficult, or downright ***holes, while the mediocre are quite nice. But I still don't use a actor's personality to judge their work.

As for Sean Penn and Reeves, I've seen enough of their work to arrive at my own guideline choosing films of theirs to see. Penn as earned the professional credibility to at least spark and interest in a film he is in. Reeves' presence makes me shy away from it, so it would have to have something I really like in it to draw me into the threater (ie, The Gift- Cate Blancett, The Matrix- SFX, Devil's Advocate- Pacino and cool plot).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought Keanu was exceptional in Reloaded. Frankly, the amount of work *HE* did on the film is astounding, and I bet you could count on one hand the number of Hollywood actors who would have made nearly the same effort to sell the role and the film.

Is he a great ACTOR? No. He does have a good agent and great attitude. He was also exceptional in Parenthood :D

Was he perfect as Neo (and Ted)? Yes, I thought so.

Take care,
Chuck

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Translation: Arrogant. [Sean Penn] dismisses
"ordinary" people as stupid and any movie they like as the same. Then, goes on to make pretentious crap and basically tells you that if you don't like it the problem is with you.
You won't find many supporters here, as a LOT of people here think the same way.

--
Holadem

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I hate Sean Penn. Any movie he is in ruins the movie for me and I usually never see them. I don't like people that automatically think they are better than the world.

Plus he is just a whining baby. I remember seeing him on something and he was mouthing off to some guy. He got too close the guy knocked him on his ass. Then Penn starts screaming "that's assault, arrest him!" like a 4 year old. Very funny stuff. What a prick.

chris rick

Second Unit
Yeah, what a prick right. It's funny, what do personal issues have to do with an actor anyway? I do agree with the statement that they have nothing to do with how we should view an actor's abiltities-- which is all the more reason as to why most of Penn's comments are right on the money--they are about the industry, and not about issues outside of his profession such as politics (where all actors have no right to open their mouths)

When I spoke earlier I spoke of Penn's comments about the film industry, so please tell me how this guy is a prick for making comments about an industry that is so obviously--even to joe six pack--churning out largely trash? Isn't it fair to only judge an actor based on what he does on screen, and within his or her industry? If this guy wants to make constructive comments about his profession, then what's the problem with that? To further explain--He is not advocating peace in the middle east like some other actors who have ironically collaborated with him. Those types of comments are not for us to judge, because they're not for actors to even make--Dennis Quaid even said this at an Independent Spirit Awards interview. But this is another issue. The real point here is that the current American public has always allowed its public figures to live their private lives and their public lives separately without allowing their judgement of their private lives to influence the way that they feel about that individual's public life. (Bill Clinton's approval rating after the Lewinski scandal, anyone? Oh yeah what about how athletes get away with murder at times?). The point is this: in our society it is downright idiotic to make comments about an actor such as Penn that have nothing to do with his acting performances. We behave in such a manner that comments based on something this guy does in his private life are rendered moot. Besides, does anyone honestly know him, on a very personal level? Seems pretty logical to me to only be able to judge a figure such as this based on something we can all relate to--his work and his comments on the industry he works in. That industry is in plain view with the product it puts out every weekend.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Erm, could get just get back to lambasing/praising Keanu's acting ability/dedication?

Please, no more comments about Sean Penn, this thread is not about him.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Yes, Keanu is that bad. Someone mentioned Devil's Advocate earlier. Give that one a watch again and see how painful his performance is to watch. Just one example of many.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks