What's new

Is Jet Li's "Hero" worth a blind buy? (1 Viewer)

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator

I understand what you meant. As IGN said, it's a shame one of the most beautiful movies ever filmed got such a horrid transfer.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just checked out the regional comparisons at DVDBeaver but they fail to acknowledge the R1 release for some reason.

The Elite Group 2-disc Japanese set seems to have the best image quality and resolution and the subtitles pictured in the screen captions seem better translated and way more effective than the other Chinese and Hong Kong releases. All featured DTS audio tracks but unfortunately none of the extras are subtitled or optionally overdubbed.

I would just like to know how the Japanese set looks in comparison with the R1 Miramax dvd which hasn't gotten the best reviews in the way of picture quality...

Has anyone here been able to compare the two or found any online reviews that offer distinction between the transfers?

I'd really like to order this movie but I'm torn between which dvd release to pick up. While I'd like to have the R1 extras made available, picture quality is much more important to me.

Can anyone comment?

And for those interested, here's the multi-region release comparison courtesy of the Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/hero.htm

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's because it's not released yet. I don't think Gary (the owner) gets advanced copies of anything.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would hesitate to recommend Hero as a blind buy. It's not nearly as accessible as Crouching Tiger or House of Flying Daggers. Of the three I would say House of Flying Daggers is the most accessible. I know people who have been bored by the pacing of Hero, but then maybe they were expecting something less cerebral.

I'm disappointed to hear about the video quality of the Miramax release. It seems like the complaints have been going on for some time now and it surprises me they haven't made any effort to change.

The DVD Beaver comparison is helpful, and I'm glad to have the second best release in terms of video quality (the GD Face standard version). It will be interesting to see comparisons with the Miramax release.

After seeing HoFD, CTHD is still my favorite, though I think I was more in awe of the action scenes in the latter.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What's the big deal? Buy it, watch it, and if you don't like the film sell the DVD on eBay. You'll probably end up spending less than a rental.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Please forgive my tardy review on this one...finally posted!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...69#post2473190

I meant to have this posted days ago but then my sister went into labor and gave birth to my first neice (and her first-born) and I got a little distraced over the holidays...

Please provide some discussion in the review thread and post your comments there as the review threads get archived and also are viewed more frequently by studio eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks