What's new

Is it too late to buy buying re-releases? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Hi Guys,

It's me again. I have been seriously considering upgrading many of my DVD purchases, but now with HD-DVD around the corner, I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

These are the DVDs that I wanted to upgrade to:

xXx (Superbit)
Charlie's Angels (Superbit)
The Fast And The Furious (Tricked Out Edition)
6th Day (Special Edition)
Alien (Quadrilogy 9 Disc Set)
Starship Troopers (Superbit)
Panic Room (Special Edition) {STILL CONSIDERING}

My family knows me for having the best/most recent version of the movies in my collection. As soon as a special edition is released, I'll go out and get it, except for the ones listed above. I was planning to buy them all at once, to replace my older versions.

Is it much too late to be replacing old versions, or do you think that HD-DVD is still so far away, that I could probably get some good viewings out of the re-releases?

What is everyone else doing out re-releases?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Alien will definately be worth upgrading

Other than that, I'll call the ball when I have more info

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
But by the time that the Alien Quadrilogy is released, maybe HD-DVD will be out?!?

Oh my, leave it up to me, to screw up the title of my thread. I always do this. Can somone please change it to:

Is it too late to BE buying re-releases?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But by the time that the Alien Quadrilogy is released, maybe HD-DVD will be out?!?
Since this is coming in the fall, and HD-DVD is a minimum of 5 years away (Just because they decide on a standard doesn't mean anything, you're talking a long wait, and you're not going to see any kind of major title output until more people have DTVs)

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
By the time HD-DVD become the standard, the next format will already be around the corner. You'll be waiting a very, VERY long time...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

A minimum of five years? That's a disappointing estimate. By that time I'd expect any television that cost more than $500 to be HD compatible. HD-DVD isn't around the corner but I'd hope that it would be released in 2-3 years so that it can be mainstream in 5.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For HD-DVD to be mainstream, the mainstreadm (read over 50% of America) nees to have an HDTV.

At a minimum of $1000 a pop, I don't see that happening anytime soon. When you can get a 27" equiv widescreen set for under $500 then we'll talk

Todd_N

Agent
I have found that Columbia House has been a great way to upgrade for me. In particular trading in my non-anamorphic DVDs (Electronics Boutique/FYE/EBAY) and then selecting more recent anamorphic versions as enrollment titles. I pretty much break even that way and end up getting a better release of the film. Unfortunately the only superbit title I am aware of that Columbia House offers is Panic Room.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks