What's new

Is It Time To Replace My Oppo? (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
unfortunately Mal they need FW version etc to ask a question, I don't have the player at the moment so if you get time will you ask them? :)
You can find out the latest firmware at this page. https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

Latest Official Release Version
Release date: March 7, 2012.
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP83-59-0117
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
No reply to my email, so contacted OPPO UK, they no longer support the 83 with FW but added that they have not had any complaints about discs not playing. :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
No reply to my email, so contacted OPPO UK, they no longer support the 83 with FW but added that they have not had any complaints about discs not playing. :)
I guess like most companies they support for a limited number of years and then expect you to upgrade to their newer players.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
Mal what settings do you use for DVD playback?
I would set it to 1080p for dvd playback and let the Oppo handle the scaling, i don't really watch much in the way of dvd these days, i notice edge enhancement too easily and very few dvd's don't have the sharpening turned up.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Watched the Shameless release of The Phantom Of Death DVD last night and although the PQ was poor I felt the OPPO handled it better than my PS3. :)

handsomep

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I am having a similar problem. My BDP-83 plays Blu-ray discs but all DVDs generate an "unknown disc" error. I spoke with Oppo and the person I spoke with recommended cleaning the laser.

I updated the firmware about 6 months ago (before that the DVD's played fine) and somehow I feel like the firmware update may have introduced the problem (though it's not supposed to obviously).

Also, if the laser was dirty, wouldn't that affect the playback of Blu-ray discs? Oppo tech support said that it was a different laser for Blu-ray and for regular DVDs. I was wondering if someone could confirm that before I open it up to clean the laser? I'm sure it's a relatively simple and safe procedure, but I don't want to do it unless I feel a little more confident that it is necessary.

Thank you!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
handsomep said:
I am having a similar problem. My BDP-83 plays Blu-ray discs but all DVDs generate an "unknown disc" error. I spoke with Oppo and the person I spoke with recommended cleaning the laser.

I updated the firmware about 6 months ago (before that the DVD's played fine) and somehow I feel like the firmware update may have introduced the problem (though it's not supposed to obviously).

Also, if the laser was dirty, wouldn't that affect the playback of Blu-ray discs? Oppo tech support said that it was a different laser for Blu-ray and for regular DVDs. I was wondering if someone could confirm that before I open it up to clean the laser? I'm sure it's a relatively simple and safe procedure, but I don't want to do it unless I feel a little more confident that it is necessary.

Thank you!
Yes there are two lasers, for dvd it's a 650nm pitch red laser and for blu ray it's a 405nm pitch violet laser.

I don't know if you have a laser issue though it's always worth cleaning them from time to time, now having said that i believe my firmware for the BD-83 is the same as your firmware and i can play dvd's fine, try cleaning it and report back what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks