What's new

Is it time for a New Match Game? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hard to beleive that a new favorite show was on about 4 years before I was born, in the form of Match Game 74.

If they kept the smae simple style sets, and just choose a new set of stars and host that best matched the original, could a new Match Game work?

Maby invite any of the original living panelists back for guest spots...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Actually, it's been revived twice: once in 1990 and again in 1998. I didn't like the 1990 version as much because they replaced some of the questions with some sort of "lightning match" round that was just random guessing.

It also didn't have the ribald wit of the earlier show, much of which was supplied and/or encouraged by Gene Rayburn (who did not host the new show). But Brett and Charles did make appearances on the panel (I think Brett was again a regular, not sure about Charles).

I never saw the 1998 version. I don't believe either revival lasted more than 1 season, so I'm not sure anyone's ready to try it again. It might work on GSN, though, if they were to produce it. The others were syndicated.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The 1998 version was terrible.

Agreed, It would be funny to do it again with the old 70s set, complete with orange shag carpeting, the same music, etc.

Game Show Network should do this, if only as a few specials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks