What's new

Is it safe to use these speaker with my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Frank_Ber

Agent
I would like to try and add the two speakers of my Sony MHC-C90 mini hi-fi, that was bought 10 years ago, to my Onkyo HT-S650 htib. I will be connecting them as Speaker-B.

Specs:
Rated Impedance: 6 ohm
Max Input power: 200w

I think these speaker are 3-way.

Are they safe to add these speakers with my HTIB? Will there any damage occur to my receiver or the speakers?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I doubt a problem of any kind would occur. If you select speakers 'B', the others will automatically be off, preventing the receiver from trying to drive too many speakers at once. So the receiver should be fine.

As long as the Sony speakers are full range, they should also be fine. As you will see from reading on HTF, most speaker damage occurs with underpowered amps, receivers, etc. As long as the receiver has sufficient power, and the speakers are not total garbage, the speakers should be fine. But... I would exercise caution in playing things too loudly until you have a handle on their performance capability.

Frank_Ber

Agent
Thank for the input. I would also like to use Speakers A and B at the same time. I think that would be a little risky.

The Sony speakers are full range. I will take your warning and won't play them loudly. My preferred listening volume when watching movies and music is around 60-65.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I doubt that the receiver will allow output to both A and B simultaneously. But hey, give it a shot. My last Onkyo 575X receiver would not output to both at the same time.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
there would be a slight impedence mismatch no? to my understanding the onkyo receiver in that set is an 8ohm receiver. whether that would neglegiable or not, i would not know.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
I have a onkyo reciever 787 and the "oringinal" ensemble speakers from Cambridge Soundworks. These speakers are 6 ohms and the rest of the Cambridge Soundworks speakers are 8 ohms . I asked the guy at Cambridge Soundworks if there would be any problem with this he said there may be a slight diffrence but not much". Hoiwever my amp can handle 6 or 8 ohms.

I would check your receivers manual to see if it can handle both impedences

Good luck
Ed O'Neill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks