What's new

Is it possible to connect a HTPC to television via firewire? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I am curious if it is possible to construct a simple home theater pc and connect it to my Mits Diamond 65813 via a firewire cable.

I would think that it is yet I have not, after much searching, been able to find any information pro or con.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
All I can offer is that I've heard firewire only has the bandwidth for a resolution of 480P, no more. Which is probably fine if you're just wanting to play DVDs.

I've heard there are soundcards out there with DVI outputs.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Firewire can support 1080i easily.

Your PC may not talk to your TV unless it has HAVi or other interface that the TV can recognize. The connection may be right, but the "language" might be all wrong.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Oh firewire would have the capacity for 1080i, no problem at all. If an HD broadcast usually is about 20-25MB per second, and firewire transmits 400MB per second, I would say it has more than enough space to send the signal.

However, is the computer sending compatable info down that wide pipeline?

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I was confused about what I said about Firewire.

This is what I actually read somewhere:

"FireWire...can carry onlycompressed digital signals, such as the original MPEG video steam from a DTV broadcast, whereas DVI carries noncompressed digital RGB. An important item to check is whether a set's DVI input is HDCP-compliant." -Micheal Riggs, Sound & Vision.

So, is firewire HDCP compliant? I didn't know there were DVI ports that weren't.

Sam, I haven't heard of this HAVi, I'll have to do some reading on it. But is this the hurdle that using a PC video utility like "powerstrip" helps to overcome?

I am also interested in the results of video upon an HDTV. Maybe my questions should go into another thread, I don't mean to hijack this one.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Wayde_R,

Although I'm not 100% familiar with the PC software you mentioned, I don't believe it has HAVi capability. From www.mitsubishi-tv.com

Dave, if you really want to to an HTPC, IMO, you should just buy a video card with DVI output, and connect to your 65813 in that manner.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I didnt mention the Firewire 800 that many new MACs are having now, as it is still pretty new and not as widespread as normal Firewire 400

Ramon A

Agent
if you are interested in hptc you should go to the computer area they might have more info.
if you search yahoo htpc search you will find many sites that will assist you as well as how to build from scratch an htpc for $1000-1500 that will do everything you ever wanted and more with a case that looks more like an av receiver than a pc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks