What's new

Is it just me or is GT3 too boring? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I just purchased this game and it's downright boring as hell when you have to drive these crappy cars that handle like shit! Im not looking to go jump in a Viper and win everything, but to get going just seems like nothing more than repition to get a few measley credits.
Also, obtaining a license is worse than going to the dentist for a tooth drilling. How many times must you perform these stupid tasks just to play the damn game?!?

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
You don't really have a choice but to get the licenses if you really want to get through the game. The A, B, and IB licenses are not that hard to get. The IA can get a pain, at least for me it was. This will allow you to run most of the races.
I remember being frustrated with the slow cars, but you get past that pretty quickly once you win a few races and get a better vehicle. Try to save enough for a Mustang Cobra or Evolution.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to get the Cobra R. I just hope I have the patience to work towards it. What car does everyone use to start out with and what is your first couple of upgrades?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When you bought the game, you knew it was racing. How could you not know it was going to be boring (I have it, and I've stopped playing it because its too much of the same thing over and over, though it does pose a challenge with the licenses).

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I started with the Miata and modded it to around 270hp. It was a pretty sweet handling car, I wish I hadn't sold it. At that point I had enough credits to get the SVT and have been going pretty good since then.
I am up to 61% of the game with 4.7 million credits. I have no intentions of trying to complete it. I will run all of the non-rally races and see how many of the bonus cars I can get.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I bought this too and hate it. In fact I am taking it back. Funny thing is I LOVE racing games, especially Ridge Racer V and Nascar Heat. I thought the rave reviews this got I would love it, but I hate it. The damn ghost car is the most annoying thing in the world. All my life I play racing games and have become accustomed to passing a car, not having half of it inside my car. That is the dumbest feature ever IMHO...
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im glad Im not the only one who regrets this purchase. I just heard so much hype about GT3 that frankly, I was suckered into this one. It is beautiful, but there is nothing that can get me to put down NCAA 2K2. I was skeptical to buy GT3 and now, after playing for only an hour, I doubt Ill ever get back into it. Im pissed I bought it from Best Buy instead of EB - I can't return it now.

Hi guys, I have never posted here before but I had to now. I cannot believe you think this game is boring. Maybe it is just me but I cannot put this game down. I admit it is kinda boring at first when you have a POS car and have to race for $1000 at a time but once you make your first million and buy a real car then it gets fun and things start to move fast. I had GT1 before and loved it but I like GT3 better. Although there are some things I like about GT1 that GT3 doesn't have.
Maybe the reason I like this game so much is cause I do that sort of thing in real life, maybe not racing but modding up cars and going to car shows etc. Maybe that is the difference.
Have you guys played any of the other racing games like Midnight Club and Tokyo something? I haven't but I would be interested to hear about those.
JamesMartin

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
This is not an arcade game. It is a simulation. It says that right on the cover. You race to earn money and upgrade. It's about fine tuning your car to perfection, not quick thrills.
Sean
------------------
"My girls won 10 out of 11. And the 11th was won by a deaf mute. You can't beat that."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the game is that it IS perfect. Its a perfect racing simulation (as was already stated) and some people aren't into racing games. Many people think about it for its graphics but the gameplay is not just for anyone, and that is where people start to not like it. I think its a great game, but I haven't played it in a while because the racing concept is not that appealling.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Believe me guys, I WANT to like this game (mostly because I laid down $50 for it). I knew it was a simulation and I can deal with that. I work for one of the Big 3 and have hands on dealings with one of those very cars in GT3 so I was geeked to get to race it in the game... that being said, mulling over and over some tracks with a friggin PT Cruiser is just boring. So what, you get a million dollars and buy a Viper or some foreign car that nobody has heard of and put exhaust and mod chips on it that raise the HP? Some big shot producer of GT3 said that you need to buy the EVO Lancer or something to become invincible. That sucks. How come I can't buy a Cobra R and mock that thing up to compete with anything in the game? What crap. Ill stick to Madden and NCAA 2K2 where I can pick the best team to start if I want or build up my lowly Lions to Super Bowl contenders. Im not putting down those that like the game, to each his own, this is just my opinion.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its a perfect racing simulation
laugh.gif
GT3 is far from the perfect racing simulator compared to Ferarri F355 Challenge on Dreamcast.
Theres this other PC racer thats even more Sim than F355, but i just cant remember the name...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To all the detractors of GT3, there are several rebuttals:
(a) it is a game which requires patience; you have to pass licence tests which are fiendishly difficult, and you slowly build up enough money to buy a decent machine. I reckon that if you are half-way competent, it will take at least 10 hours play before you are really into the big league stuff. [The exception to this seems to be my 7 year old son, who got through all the licence tests at the first time of trying].
(b) the game is a simulation, and it is very accurate. I've experience of driving Mercs and VWs, and the replication of the handling of them is uncanny. I've also driven a couple of American sports cars very briefly. My apologies to American members of this forum, but I'm afraid a lot of US cars steer like a cow on ice compared with outfits like the Subaru and the Evolution.
(c) if you want instant thrills and no long term planning (i.e. missing the entire point of the GT series) then get something like Wipeout.
(d) However, if you really persevere, you will get on to the F1 machines, and then the fun really starts.
FWIW, I've completed about half the races and it just gets better and better. The rally races are a real blast. However, regarding the ghost car - if you've properly tuned the car before entering the race, it should at best be a speck in the rear mirror throughout.
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on August 23, 2001 at 01:59 PM]

Bryce D

Grip
GT3 is far from the perfect racing simulator compared to Ferarri F355 Challenge on Dreamcast.
Theres this other PC racer thats even more Sim than F355, but i just cant remember the name...
I beleive the game your speaking of is Grand Prix legends, probibly the closest you will ever get to an acurate driving model, in ANY game.
GT3 does a good job at SIMULATING real car feel. However, it is far from a true simulation. The fact that it auto clutches downshifts, and rev matches, says alot about how non-sim it is. Plus its completely inacurate use of Traction Control, Anti Lock Brakes, and Tire Wear, dont help it in the realism department.
Its a console game, and as long as a game is to be made for a console, it MUST be playable with the stock controler. And obviously a controler is a FAR cry from a nice set of wheels and pedals, more or less a real car.
For a console game, it does a great job of giving the feel of driving a car, however, it ends there. Its just not "the real driving simulator" its made out to be. And leaves MUCH to be desired when it comes to protraying real driving. When the the last time you traction rolled your Skyline in GT3 becuase you cooked it to hard into a corner? Ahhh...didnt think so.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Bryce: YES! EXACTLY, thats what it was... yeah, i heard that was hella-sim... :)
Anyways, its very hard to spin out due to over/understeer i think in GT2 or 3 at high speeds compared to F355, Grand Prix Legends, or even Test-Drive: Lemans... Which if not driven with complete precision as in a real car (not really TD:LM though), your tires'll start a'slidin, and you'll find yourself in the weeds... unless you got traction control and slide control on...
biggrin.gif

The only way i spun out was i got a powerful rear wheel drive car, slowed down in a corner, and slammed the gas...
------------------

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I have a hard time swallowing some of the seemingly half hearted attempts to describe GT3 as "Boring." The game is certainly less captivating at first to long time GT fans if only because alot of the same tracks appear in all three games and unfortunately, less cars are available.
That said, the GT series offers the best simulation of the "real car" driving experience that ever graced a console or computer screen. It's just that simple to me. I have spent the last three years actively competing in my local SCCA Solo II series and when I'm not racing, this simulation provides an excellent alternative. A lor of the time saving techniques employed at the track work just as advertised in GT3.
I may be on my own when I say that I am not really "Blown away" with the graphics presented in GT3. The opening scene in GT one with the car "Dropping the clutch" on launch remains to me, the coolest graphical thing GT designers have done within the game. It's the physics models present for each car is what has always drawn me to the series. I never seen it more accurately presented in any other game.
I really think that this game is not for the "casual" racing game fan. As someone said earlier, it is indeed a racing sim. For the first time (IMHO) someone actually succeeded in making a true simulation for a Non-PC machine. For those used to playing arcade type - quick fix - games I can certainly understand why they MIGHT find this game boring. If you are serious about motorsport, this purchase is a no-brainer.
Michael
'97 Stillen/JWT Modified 200sx SE-R
Gran Turismo enthusiant!.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The people that don't like it didn't play the first two right? What you're complaining about it what Gran Tourismo is and is lots of people love it because it's deep that's not just mindlessly running around a track hardly ever using the brakes.
------------------

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Damn, i want GT2 back... i borrowed it from my neighbor coz i was playing it on Dreamcast using Bleem! for DC...
but he needed it back
------------------

AjayM

Screenwriter
That said, the GT series offers the best simulation of the "real car" driving experience that ever graced a console or computer screen. It's just that simple to me. I have spent the last three years actively competing in my local SCCA Solo II series and when I'm not racing, this simulation provides an excellent alternative. A lor of the time saving techniques employed at the track work just as advertised in GT3.
I have to disagree here, GT3 is dumbed down driving dynamics at best, and is far, far away from having the best simulation around. Don't get me wrong here, it's a fun game, and the cars sorta handle like they should...but it's far from something like Grand Prix Legends. I do agree though that it does offer a semi-good way to learn the proper lines around a track and such, and how driving smoothly and with some fluid will get you around the track much faster than banzai driving (but most driving games will do that).
Andrew
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks