What's new

Is it correct, that Yamaha receivers better then H/K? (1 Viewer)

Vlad_O

Auditioning
I was planning to buy Harman Kardon AVR 235 online($340)
Just was checking quality in JR store. A sales person told me, that Yamaha HTR 5850 much much better for this money.
He told me that you can't compare H/K with Yamaha(sound)
Is it correct, that Yamaha receivers better then H/K?
I'm talking about receivers with price range $300-$350

Thanks, Vlad

KyleGS

Second Unit
Sounds like misinformation to me. I just switched a Yammie 5760 for an HK 430 and there definately was a difference but it wasn't the same as you were told. My Yammie had better features and great little gadgets on it but the H/K has much better sound quality (IMO) and more power (clean power). Now does that mean that HK is better than the Yammie? NO. It's all up to what matters to you. Don't forget that you can look at HK refurbs at harmanaudio.com and they all come with full factory warranties. Just a thought.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It could be that persons opinion. Many opinions the opposite way as well.

I'm a Denon head and while I favor them, I'd never put them in some exclusive class over a similar level Yamaha and/or H/K and/or Onkyo.

Since there is stiff competition, you generally will get similar performance from similar price levels with all of these companies / products.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
The sound quality of the Yamaha is better than the H&K...if you think it is. Or you may prefer the H&K. It is strictly a matter of personal preference.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha 5790 and I like it but if I was offered HK AVR-635(trade, of course), I would take it in a heartbeat. HK is better than Yamaha, at least for me. They are close in price online. Don't even try comparing them at retail prices since retails price difference is about $400.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree with everyone 'cept the salesman. Personally I prefer H/K but I easily could have taken a different fork in the road as others have. Always had a fondness for Marantz too but haven't owned one yet.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I had the H/K AVR-7200 and downgraded to a Yamaha HTR-5760. Personally, I liked the sound of my Yamaha much better.

Again, just my .02

[Edit]: I should also point out that it was all of the positive views of H/K gear and the H/K sound that led me to the AVR-7200. I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
HK is better. true rating compared to yammys overratings. yammys sound good but HK is def better.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Actually I was a little concerned about the ratings of HK since it was 75w instead of Yamaha's 110. However, the listening test proved that HK has at least the power of yamaha. It might be even more than the true wattage of yamaha. What surprises me that the you had AVR-7200 which is WAY more costly than the 635 and yamaha 5760. I haven't heard this model yet but I expected to be even better than the 635.

I was also thinking that they might be overhyped like monster cables but HK proved itself to me.

I guess its a matter of personal preference.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you talk about the lower models, IMO, H/K no question. In the upper models, I'd say they are relatively comparable. Sound is a different thing though, and the two have very different sounds, so you should really try to listen to both before buying.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
hehe...got too love the ratings. The rating sof the HTR models is to compete with Best buy and thier stuff. It is rated at 1khz and is elevated...true. However- thier RX-V line is Rated at 20-20 and has real to the world power ratings. So what seems to be an over-rated power..really is not. I personaly have listened to the HK's and Denons etc... and Ive always gone back to yamaha. I still have my first Yamaha unit i purchased back in 94 and it runs flawless today! The 657 is my 4th unit and has the XM tuner.

anyway..thats my personal opinion...

Shiu

Second Unit

Comparing entry level HK models to Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, SonyES at the same price point, they do not offer more "real power". Their specified ratings are considered "conservative". True, but it does not equate to more watts/dollar. You still get what you paid for.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Having owned both brands( i had the yamaha 1300 and 1400 and now the HK635) i say HK sounds better to me. You have to remember though that it's what sounds best to you that counts most. We can all give our opinions here all day long but in the end it's your opinion that really matters. The best advice is to listen to both and let your ears decide.

Take Care,
Dalton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks