1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it better to have a better in-ceiling center speaker than the rest of the speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by bobspeakhome, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bobspeakhome

bobspeakhome New Member

I am in the process of installing an in-ceiing 5.1 HT system. I have 4 SpeakerCraft in-ceiling 7" Aim7 Two speakers and a 8" Aim8 Three for the center channel. Is this a better setup than using all (5) Aim7 Two speakers? I cannot afford to buy all Aim8 speakers, since they cost twice as much as the Aim7s. The speakers will be driven by a Yahama RX-A1010 Receiver. Thanks.

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    It is always best to keep your speakers "timbre matched". This means they all have similar sound. This allows sound to be the same as it pans from speaker to speaker. This is most important with your front 3. Only get the 'better' speaker if Speakercraft states that it is indeed timbre matched with others. BTW - We don't recommend in ceiling speakers for anything other than background music like you would hear in a grocery store. The decision to go with ceiling speakers is for interior design, not sound design. Just my $.02. I understand everyone's goals are different.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    I agree. In-ceiling speakers are the absolute LAST choice, and are terrible for home theater.

4. bobspeakhome

bobspeakhome New Member

Thank you for your honesty. I will have to rethink my system.

5. kaizentr

kaizentr New Member

Thank you it will help me too ;)

6. dargo

dargo Member

in ceiling is fine for surround, maybe even left and right but never center channel, center should be right above or right below the screen. in ceiling reminds me of backround music you would hear in a store.

7. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    I personally wouldn't use them for surrounds. Definitely not for front speakers (left, right, or center). Too hard to properly aim (tweeters should be at ear height).