What's new

Is Forbidden Planet SE still on August 2004 from WB? (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I checked all my sources here and abroad and no one has any inkling of any new edition. There was a paragraph that read banned, condemned, forbidden, but the title they were talking about is "Freaks".

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Was this ever confirmed? I thought it had been in another thread but there doesn't seem to be another thread that I can find.....if this was just fan gossip malarky..:angry:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Was this ever confirmed?
--------------------------------

My original point. I have not seen an actual announcement of any wieght, let alone a street date or specs. Its is getting rather late...
Would love that August were true.

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
Once I get new SE's of King Kong and Forbidden Planet, my days of DVD-gathering and -writing will -- at least emotionally -- be over. There are no two more highly desired discs left on my "desert island" list. So while I'd love love love for this apparent rumor to be true, my gut tells me that we won't see a full-bore quality SE of Forbidden Planet until its 50th anniversary in 2006. I'll lay good money down that the restored print will even see a limited theatrical rerelease, which is a current trend that pleases me no end.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Gee whiz I hope they take that very quick shot of Altaira Morbius coming out of the pond supposedly naked, but you can clearly see the bottom part of a bathing suit, take it all off for the 1/4 second frame shot in the remaster!:D

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 'last' version was OK by me visually.
DUCK!
However, the sound was why I dumped this five year's ago.
On the rumor of a special edition.
Was hoping for the original four track soundtrack!!!
Did anyone 'see' the Asian DVD?
GREAT cover!
horrible, video!
Maybe why I was "OK", with the R1.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
(bump).....so any news yet?

(sigh....it was just a fanboy rumor wasn't it?)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]"My evil self is at that door and I have no power to stop it!"[/rant]

I was hoping we'll get a special 2-disc Id edition of this super classic sometime this year, maybe they're waiting for the 50th, damn!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I wonder... was FP shot on Eastman 5251? Is the O-neg in good shape? When was the last time new prints were made?

StevenFC

Second Unit
I kind of get the feeling they're waiting for the 50th anniversary too, Steve. Or maybe they want to release it at the same time the Star Wars boxed set comes out. Then again, I can think of many reasons why it might be delayed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Does anyone have reliable information on the video quality of the coming FP release? As a long time fan who actually owned the Criterion and MGM laserdisc versions years ago, I can assure you there has been a LONG running disappointment over the rather faded Eastman color negative/print(s) being used for video transfers over the years. People who remembered seeing the original theatrical presentation have attested to how weak the recent incarnations have been on tape and disc.

I'm hopeful a newly discovered negative or print was found, because another tweaking of existing materials will be but another letdown for the fans of this movie (Mr. Movie can you hear me!?).

A good selection of extras is long overdue, so that at least will be welcome.:frowning:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Does anyone have reliable information on the video quality of the coming FP release?
For that matter does anybody have reliable proof that it is even getting made at all?
Nothing official that I have seen, just rumors so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks