What's new

Is Forbidden Planet SE still on August 2004 from WB? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The thought of a much-rumored remake wakes me screaming in the night, much to my wife's distress
I agree! When Hollywood does their pitiful remakes of these kind of classics it IMHO is displaying creative bankruptcy & a lack of courage by attempting the "safe" remake of a well known title. Show some guts & try a brand new story!

I'll be one of the 1st in line to buy a 2 disc SE of "Forbidden Planet" as well as "Freaks". I'm hoping "King Kong" will not be delayed until 2005, unless it is to actually finish the restoration work. Delaying it to coincide with the proposed remake by Jackson would IMHO be 100% WRONG. I'll rebuy GWTW for the 5th time. Here's hoping for a boatload of extras & a commentary.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm a bit skeptical, as this has been rumoured for a long, long time now.

But if it's true, count me in. The current DVD leaves a great deal of room for improvement. And this is one of the greatest SciFi movies ever made. A no-brainer to be sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
10 years ago Leslie Nielsen would not sign my Forbidden Planet laser disc. It was at an in store appearance, and I think he was contractually bound to sign things only related to his dopey golf video.

Neil

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You're probably right about that, because he sure is happy to *talk* about his experience making FP lately. As expected from him, it's pretty amusing, though possibly a little embellished to make a good story...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What did that link say?

Now it points to Friday's news and I don't see anything about Forbidden Planet anywhere...

dave :frowning:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just under the row of six DVD covers it says "Just announced by Warner Brothers: FREAKS (1932) is being released on DVD in August 2004, the double feature VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED, plus a special double disc edition of FORBIDDEN PLANET...all due in August of 2004."

And that's it...

---
So many films, so little time...

Real Name
Anthony
The same thread on DVD Talk also says that 2004 will bring more Hitchcock (?), Chaney, Flynn and "big" Cagney releases.
He also mentions Peckinpah and Scorsese sets, and confirms that TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE and FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED will be released.

I don't know who this guy is but he seems to be pretty confident and hints at having inside knowledge.

I'm hoping this is true and that we might be in for WILD BUNCH and/or PAT GARRETT S.E's. But what Hitchcock could he be talking about ?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hitchcock from Warner '04 has been hinted at for a while now. A few of the titles previously mentioned were Dial M For Murder, Suspicion & Foreign Correspondant. All of which I would buy in an instant. :emoji_thumbsup:

You can also count me in for the following

Cagney films (White Heat, Public Enemy & The Roaring Twenties)
Flynn films (Hopefully Captain Blood & The Sea Hawk)
Scorsese films (Goodfellas & Mean Streets SE's at last?)
Peckinpah films (which will hopefully include Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Ride the High Country & Ballad of Cable Hogue)
Forbidden Planet SE
Freaks
The Hammer films
Village of the Damned

If this is all true it's going to be a hell of a year for those who love classic films.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great news on FP if true in August 2004. But even if the Warner's disc is a nice 2 disc SE set, if you still have the Criterion LD, and I certainly do, I would not sell it. The suppliments are great and likely not duplicated on any new discs.

Glad to hear Dial M is coming too.

Nelson

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The news posted at DVDTalk came from me. Someone copied what I wrote at another forum and tried to pass it off as their own. I've asked this guy to remove it but I'm not sure if he will or not.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Well (thanks to theblob at thedvdforums for the tip) the rumour on the three Hammer releases has been confirmed by Warners here .

Could this mean that the Hitchcock, Cagney, Peckinpah and Scorcese scuttlebutt might be kosher? Be still my beating heart...

---
So many films, so little time...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Sam Peckinpah's films under Warner Bros' control:

Ride The High Country - Warner
The Wild Bunch - Warner
The Ballad Of Cable Hogue - Warner
The Getaway - Warner
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid - Warner

Which would make a great boxed set. I'd definately buy it.

And the rest:

The Deadly Companions - Unknown
Straw Dogs - MGM as of January 2004
Major Dundee - Columbia
Junior Bonner - MGM
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia - MGM
Killer Elite - MGM
Cross Of Iron - Hen's Tooth Video
Convoy - Pacific Fraud Company
The Osterman Weekend - Anchor Bay

Gordy

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
FP-SE has been rumored for late August release-yet with less than 3 months to go-I dont see it on any e-tailer lists, or even recall reading anything concrete from Warners or in the chat. Anyone know differently?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming it got pushed back as Warner already announced a batch of Sci-Fi/Horror catalog titles for Aug 17th.

Hopefully this will be announced for Sept or Oct. If so we should know over the next month or so.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I agree with mark. I don't believe there has been a single concrete piece of information about the release of this film as a SE DVD. The Warner chat includes the question, but no answer. So, wence came the rumor that there was supposed to be an August '04 release? I frequent a bunch of forums and movie/DVD news sites and never once heard this. Of course, I would be delighted if it turned out to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks