What's new

Is Everyone Corner Loading Their SVS Sub(s)? Other Qs (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
If so, have you tested other locations?

Do SV subs generally perform best in corners?

Also, are PCi subs in stock?

Are you guys ordering the bettercables sub cable with them?

Does anyone have a PCi connected to a Denon Receiver? If so, do you crank up the pre-amp sub volume, the gain on the sub, or both?

Screw the questions, I'm buying one today anyway!

J

John Morris

Yes, tried other locations and found that a single Ultra subwoofer in my front left corner worked best for me and my room.

Generally, most of the time, all subs perform best in corners.

Beats me, call SVS?

Nope, I use a simple Canare 75ohm interconnect and some 10ga. Sound King speaker cable.

It is my understanding that you are always best off pushing the sub amp gain and then adjusting the preamp/receiver's output.

Enjoy your new sub!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
JUST GREAT. Credit Card Declined...I just added $700 ! Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow, if it doesn't work out, I'll try in a couple weeks. :frowning:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"JUST GREAT. Credit Card Declined...I just added $700 ! Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow, if it doesn't work out, I'll try in a couple weeks."

Could be one of two things. It could be that the credit card company/bank has not seen as large of a charge from you before, or your credit card bill's due date has passed without them receiving payment for it. A phone call can solve the first situation, patience the second.

Michael

Larry_W

Agent
Haven't tried locating the SVS in the corner mostly because I'm sure I piss off the neighbors enough with it in between my 2 fronts. Maybe some day when I know they're gone I'll give it a whirl in the corner but for the time being, it sounds great just where it is. If it sounds better in the corner, I just might have to move.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
And so it begins....order confirmation no. 3449 baby! Thanks for everyone's help, be back when I'm in bass bliss.

Robert Cobb

Agent
After moving a 25-31PCi to a corner for the past week, I can chime in and comment that this has not worked out better for my particular situation. I did get an extra db from the corner, but decided to move the sub back to its original location (about 5 feet from corner along the side wall).

While everything was louder with less amplification, I felt that I was losing too much of the HT rumble I experience when the sub is closer to the listening position. The other downside to the corner is that the upstairs of the house began to vibrate much more (was waking up the 3 year old). I think corner loading works for most, but may not be best for me since I have highly reflective walls (painted cinderblock), and it causes the sub to be moved too far from the seats.

I plan to try another position in a week or so. I'm happy now, but want to make sure I can't do better. Sheesh, how many times have I said that pursuing this "hobby"?

Would plotting a response curve from each sub position I try be a decent way to objectively compare each location?

Greg Br

Second Unit
Let me add that another key placement for your sub is getting it as close to the seating area as possible. I originaly had the subs 12 feet away and reconfigured my room so they are 7 feet away and all I can say is what a difference. The subs hit harder and the best part is you can really feel the bass in movies just all around you, it was a awsome tweak.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Robert,
Would plotting a response curve from each sub position I try be a decent way to objectively compare each location?
Yes, this is the best way to tell exactly what your sub is doing at the different locations.

If you don’t have a dedicated EQ for the sub, you might consider getting one. It will probably give a whole ’nother perspective on corner placement.

Greg,

I hope you’re not saying you now have your subs out in the middle of the floor somewhere. That would be really bad.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyway you can!

Seriously: “FLUG-howpt” is proper, but usually everybody just ends up saying “FLU-hop.”

Wasn’t lucky enough to get one of the easy German names, like Hoffmann, Wiess or Kohl. But I’ve seen far worse!

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg Br

Second Unit
Wayne,

Just one corner to the other. I ditched the oversized entertainment center and it freed up som room.

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Corner placement is the most common spot for me in the numerous listening rooms I've had over the years. But the best spot I ever had was directly behind the listening couch (As close as I could put it), tucked partially in a closet opening. I tried this after hearing recommendations from some well known industry experts. When asked where they would put a sub for absolute best results, the reply was "I'd sit on it". Try VERY close to your listening spot. Crossover point can't be too high tho, so you can't localize it's' output.

Cheer,

Chris

Vin

Supporting Actor
Chuck, I used to have my sub (Velo CT-120) in the front of the room (not in a corner) next to my left main and it wasn't bad but about a year ago I finally decided to go through the hassle of routing some coax to the back of the room, as this was the only corner available. Besides being in a corner, the sub is now only ~4' from where I sit and the difference is astounding! No localization problems either....it was well worth the effort!
The only thing missing now (hint, hint) is the 20-39PCi that will take the place of my Velo! :D
Vin

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
So it looks like the majority of those who have posted thus far prefer close sub placement to corner loading. Is there anyone else that feels the opposite or differently?

John_VI

Second Unit
When I unpacked my 25-31PCi last week, I initially placed it directly in front of my seat on the couch, thinking I would do some set-up/localizing tests. I put The Matrix in the DVD player and went to the helicopter crash scene (chapter 30?). I was amazed at the base it produced, sitting out in the center of the room, even prior to any calibration!

I had to move it to a corner before I even really got started on my set-up eval (long story), and listened to the DVD scene again. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The base just filled the whole house and was noticably louder and more pronounced than before. I'm still not done with my set-up, but I'm pretty sure it will stay in the corner where it now sits. BTW, it's only about 3 feet from my head when I sit on the couch!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks