1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is DTS dead on standard def DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Tedesco, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I might have missed this, but I'm just realizing that no new DVD's in the last several months carry the DTS audio format anymore. Was there a press release that DTS was only going to focus on HD DVD/Bluray?

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'd say yes. 90% of new releases are Dolby Digital only.

DTS is going strong on Blu-Ray though[​IMG]

3. Chris S

Chris S Screenwriter

Chris S
    It sure appears that way. I can't name a single DTS release from the past quarter which is typically the big release window when you'd think there would be quite a few. However like Bryan^H noted it's very prevalent on Blu-ray.

4. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    although I almost always prefer DTS to DD, i do not really lament its loss on DVD. The bitrate of the picture is compromised IMO if they try to include both DTS and DD on a SD DVD (unless they spread the movie onto two discs, as in the LOTR special editions).

However, as others have said, DTS is alive and well on Blu-Ray. Bitrate is not as much of a concern on a high storage format like Blu-Ray.

5. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

DTS is very popular with the Asian and Region 2 STD DVD. To be honest I don't notice that much of a difference to make a purchase just because the DVD contains a DTS audio track.

6. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Every now and again, I'll encounter (and buy) an old SuperBit DVD for $5 or so.

In doing so, I'm essentially creating a 'two-disc' set with the normal version for menus & extras and then the SB for higher bitrate PQ & DTS.

I won't be buying BD, so for me this is as good as it gets for Sony movies.