What's new

Is digital coax better than optical for 24/192? (1 Viewer)

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
The latest Q&A #344 in the Secrets of Home Theater says:

"Digital coax will pass 24/192, while Toslink optical appears to be limited to 24/96. We will test this at some point."

Can anyone comment on this? Does it matter?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
What's the 24/192 source?
I can only assume it's DVD-Audio, right? As DVD-Audio is currently passed only via analog connections, this is why I'm asking if this matters. Perhaps it will matter when new standards for passing hi-rez digital come into play in the future?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
As DVD-Audio is currently passed only via analog connections, this is why I'm asking if this matters.
Well, the Pioneer DVD Player/Receiver pair (not sure the model numbers, but they cost about $6K for the set) use a proprietary Firewire link. I think Denon has a similar offering.

I don't know didly about Firewire, but I think all the copy protected, secure interfaces that exist today (for audio and/or video) are wire based.

Not sure if that is due to technical limitations of the media, or for other reasons.

I don't expect you will ever see an "in the clear" hi-rez link, be it copper or fiber.

BGL

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
IMO and experience, a "low-end" optical will yield better results over a "low-end" coaxial. But, if you've got higher-ended components, and want a high-end cable, go with the Coaxial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks