What's new

Is Criterion working on a blu-ray of Heaven's Gate? (2 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/318845/is-criterion-working-on-a-blu-ray-of-heavens-gate#post_3901960
Post #4 Joel.
My bad.

EDIT: Actually I'd throw out that Criterion has released its fair share of westerns.... its just that they were all set in feudal Japan and directed by Kurosawa!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, it would seem that most of the "internet rumors" about a Criterion release of Heaven's Gate stem from that Facebook photo. Since making the initial post in this thread I've spent two nights in the home cinema with Mr. Cimino's work -The MGM dvd of Heaven's Gate and the new blu of The Deer Hunter- and I am planning a third night with Year of the Dragon. I have to say the MGM dvd of Heaven's Gate leaves a lot to be desired. The sound on the dvd is not great and often seemed quite muddy. The image while passable does not show off what was actually captured on film. I honestly don't think Heaven's Gate can get a fair trial on dvd and it will take a blu-ray to allow people to see and understand what the people that worked on the film really created. I have to admit I enjoy Heaven's Gate more than I do The Deer Hunter but I will say experiencing The Deer Hunter on blu-ray really left me more impressed with the film than I ever have been. I can only imagine that a blu-ray of Heaven's Gate would provide a stunning night in the home theater and cause most people to completely reevaluate the film.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The HD version of HEAVEN'S GATE that played on MGM-HD a couple years ago is available to rent on Comcast on Demand.
Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Derrick King said:
HEAVEN'S GATE is getting closer. from criterionforum.org:
I hope they also include the short cut in HD, as it's a vastly different viewing experience and has several minutes of interesting footage missing from the otherwise far superior long version.
Lots of interesting information here, in particular look at the pictures gallery for scans of vintage magazine articles re: HEAVEN'S GATE and some screen grabs of scenes and shots unique to the short version: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-Ciminos-Heavens-Gate/63498056944
(Full disclosure: I am an administrator of that HEAVEN'S GATE facebook fan page)
Vincent

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The HD version is very nice,and has been available for a while now,on streaming services like vudu
If Criterion was going to do it it would be great,but I don't think its coming out anytime soon
They also really would have to do a larger extras segment than most of the newer titles I seen in a while ,While I understand they are doing more good titles now
with much lower prices than the days of 125.00 CAV Boxes,but
the three I got at the B&N sale,were pretty short on extras,the Gold Rush had no still file (like99 percent of BR's) and Harold and Maude really had nothing much

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Peter Neski said:
If Criterion was going to do it it would be great,but I don't think its coming out anytime soon...
Peter, did you read Derrick's post and look at the link? Here's a direct link to the program schedule (thanks to Felix Martinez): http://www.amianet.org/events/thereelthing/2012/program.html
Why would Criterion's Lee Kline be doing a discussion on the reconstruction and restoration of HEAVEN'S GATE if Criterion wasn't working on it?
Vincent

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
well they still haven't come out with "Picnic at Hanging Rock"BR ,which they been holding for some time,Which seems to be out everywhere in the world with loads
of fine extras,Maybe they will get Peter to do a commentary,that would be worth the wait
Not sure what that link is ,but it doesn't have anything about Heavens Gate ,something about the Nic Bros

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Scroll down, Peter. It's there. Terrific news. Let's hope Criterion's not waiting for the 35th anniversary.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I would guess that if they are going to talk about it in August, they will probably announce it earlier that month as one of their November releases. If not, then I imagine that it will be December or, at the latest, sometime in the first quarter of 2013 .

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Thanks its there,missed it,well if it can look better than that HD version out there now ,it would be great,I don't think Cimino is easy to get hold of
the American Deer Hunter didn't have any extras with him,only the UK version did

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
More confirmation: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/michael-ciminos-heavens-gate-restored-headed-to-venice-film-festival-criterion-collection-edition-on-the-way-20120725#
Vincent

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I hope that this film gets a better reception. It is a near masterpiece, and should look great on Blu-ray.
When it opened at Cinema I in NYC in 70mm, I was on my way in to see it, but it closed out from underneath me. Didn't see it until the NY Film Festival version some years later on LD.
Regardless of what you have heard about the film, its history of reception, please keep an open mind and see it under optimal conditions.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Then this won't be a disc for you, Bruce, but those of us who appreciate it are looking forward to it.
Vincent

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
rsmithjr said:
I hope that this film gets a better reception. It is a near masterpiece, and should look great on Blu-ray.
When it opened at Cinema I in NYC in 70mm, I was on my way in to see it, but it closed out from underneath me. Didn't see it until the NY Film Festival version some years later on LD.
Regardless of what you have heard about the film, its history of reception, please keep an open mind and see it under optimal conditions.
I did see it at Cinema 1 in NYC in 70mm and it deserves its reputation. That opening sequence goes on and on and on and the film goes downhill from there... That said the cinematography is good and the music score is interesting though repetitive.
Has anyone actually watched all of its 3 hrs and 40 minutes in one sitting? With the advent of home video and now blu-ray it could end up being a two parter if one has the patience of a s........

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Paul Rossen said:
Has anyone actually watched all of its 3 hrs and 40 minutes in one sitting? ......
Yes, I have, many times.
I don't think discussing the film's merits (or lack thereof) is really appropriate for this Blu-ray thread. Might be a better idea to start a new thread in the movies section.
Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks