What's new

Is anyone here studying martial arts? (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm studying Tang So Doo right now and I love it. I only wish that I would have started in my childhood, but it's never too late to learn.

I chose the Korean Tang So Doo because of it's emphasis on kicking. All martial arts are good, but Tang So Doo is more of a kicking art and focuses on power over finesse.

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yep

I've been taking Shotokan Karate for almost two years now. I agree its better to start early. I am still young but wish I could do the splits.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Not right now but I have studied Wing Chun. I chose this because I am a pretty big guy and it really focuses on the efficiency of smaller moves and combinations of block/strikes and involves almost no acrobatics.I haven't been lately as I blew my knee out and still haven't quite recovered. I, like everyone here, wish that I had started early too. Although, our Sifu did not allow students under the age of 15 to participate but I would have liked to start at 15 rather than 24.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Flexibility is my main problem. If one isn't flexible, one will have a difficult time executing proper kicks. How often do you guys do your stretching? Is your stretching relegated to the days you have class, or do you stretch on the other days too?

I sometimes am the only person in the morning class and when I spar with my instructor, it's very difficult to execute kicks because he is tall (about 6'4). If I had better flexibility, I could do better kicks, there is no doubts there.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I studied Tae Kwon Do for 8 yrs and helped to teach for 4. During that time I would stretch every morning and usually every evening. I ran into some knee problems about 3yrs ago and have not felt comfortable practicing since. I'm not sure if it is a result of all the kicking or not, though.

Dan Hine

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
If you want to learn how to kick, you should focus on Muay Tai Kick Boxing. It's a more pragmatic than any other striking martial art out there. It would be good to mix with Brazilian Jui Jitsu if you want to learn how to truly defend yourself. Watch things like Pride and UFC to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
If you are trying to learn how to defend yourself, traditional boxing is probably your best route, especially for street fight situations. Kick boxing is good too, but I think boxing is easier to learn in a shorter amount of time since it's so natural.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
4 years of Northern Shaolin style kung fu in college. I haven't trained since moving to NYC, mainly because I couldn't find a school a liked. Martial arts are tremendous fun, and a great workout!

-Max

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Go with the grappling styles like Jui Jitsu. Start watching any of the UFC events and you'll see that once you're on the ground and off your feet it's a whole different ball game.

Jeff

RicP

Screenwriter
If you are trying to learn how to defend yourself, traditional boxing is probably your best route, especially for street fight situations
Have to completely disagree here. A boxer is lost if they're off their feet. No one I know -- especially in a street fight -- is going to stand toe to toe and "duke it out". Typically on eor both of the participants are on the ground within 2 minutes and then it's the one with the best grappling skills that usually prevails.
In addition boxers are not trained to block or defend against powerful kicks. Front solar plexus kicks and roundhouses are not easily defended by someone not used to experiencing them.
I studied Tae Kwon Do and Karate for about 8 years. Like many others, I tore my MCL and haven't really been able to put as much power into my kicks since, but the defensive part of the training is still with me.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I'm still looking for a good Jeet Kune Do school in Toronto, for my daughters as well as myself. I'd send them to either that, Krav Magev, or Pentjak Silat (think that's the right spelling); all arts designed to destroy your opponent's ability to hurt you in the least amount of time, with the least amount of extranious motion. Wing Chun is another decent one, in that respect.

Of course, I'd also like to put my daughters in Wushu, because it looks bloody neat. Little 'martial' lots of 'art.'

Or a Kenjitsu school. As opposed to Kendo. Mmmmm kenjitsu.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Inevitably the "which style is better for fighting?" question comes up!

Remember, the better martial artist will win, no matter what the style.

Grappling can be great, but if a grappler gets a powerful blow to the head befor closing and is knocked out/killed/severely hurt they aren't going to be doing much grappling.

Striking arts can be very powerful, but if the opponent has done enough "iron body" style training it's going to be hard to hurt them.

Hard style vs. soft style, grappling vs. striking, internal vs. external, it doesn't really matter. Straight up boxing vs. the NYC 52 Blocks prison fighting style vs. Ju Jitsu vs. Hung Gar vs. Capoeira vs. Sambo, it doesn't matter.

The person who has the most skill and the will to use it will have the upper hand.

-Max

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I studied Kuk Sool Won with Kwahn Jahng Nim(Master) In Joo Suh.
I agree that to be really good, a combination of styles would really work well.
Wrestling (no not wwf)
Jui Jitsu
Jeet Kune Do
& Wing Chung(wing chun)
is what i would do.

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator
Took Aikido Yoshinkai for a few years and entertain the notion of going back once school is over. I also have my black badge in IPSC, a qualified PPC and IDPA shooter, if that counts at all ;)
-Take care,
Darren.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Got my black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do in Dec after taking it for 3 1/2 years. Trained in Hapkido for 2 years before. I wanted to start early in life(in my teens) but my parents would not let me. I started at the age of 29 so I can't do the splits all the way and can kick only about my head level and not any higher. I agree that the better trained individual will win in a real fight although it is better to have some grappling skills as most real fights end up on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks