1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone considering buying Pebble?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Paul, I am with you. I think it would be great to have a watch that is connected to the phone. As I keep my phone either in my pocket or in my belt holster, it's far more convenient to just glance at my wrist for incoming alerts rather than to have to pull out a device. Glad I didn't jump on Pebble now knowing that Apple and Samsung are racing to market their own watches. It should be very interesting over the next year to see what these companies come up with.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    I am not particularly fond of the look of this device but you can read about the
    new Androidly here.
    I think anyone considering purchasing one of these is best to wait to see what
    Apple does first.

3. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    Not only is that butt ugly and clunky looking, it's a bad photoshop job, which means the real deal may look a great deal worse.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David
    WIll do. I stopped wearing watches a long time ago, but I used to love wearing them and like many here I prefer a good looking analog.

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Well-Known Member

The idea of watching videos on your watch is ridiculous. GPS maps is a good idea, tho. Maybe they'll be limiting sales too much by making them accessories to phones, but Joe Consumer is probably going to want to play Angry Birds on these things and sales will tank because of the complaints about usability.
    One iPod Nano watch bands came out Apple really should have realized the potential and offered a limited selection of apps. More expansive health monitors than Nike, GPS, email readability (tho responding would require voice recognition, i would think), etc.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Finally got my Pebble Time Steel a few weeks back. They are behind in making their steel bands so they shipped just the leather one, which is too small for my wrists. I wound up getting black steel band from truffol, which is beautiful and inexpensive, and was a link or two too small for me. I wrote em a Q on Amazon feedback and within 2 days they had shipped me 3 extra links. I installed 2 and the watch was too BIG for me, a first. Took one link out and it works great now.

Still evaluating the Pebble itself. I'm not really sure why I even backed it since I haven't worn a watch daily and I knew that the Apple watch would be introduced shortly after the Kickstarter ended, but I did and I'm commited to giving it a good workout.

So far I have found an interesting watch face which shows temp and weather and battery in addition to the digital time, and I like that. Notifications are weird. I don't mind the ones I get buzzed on my phone for (baseball, football, texts, and 2 idle games) but having those buzz my wrist is jarring so far. Will see if I get used to em or just limit it to text messages.

I don't have any other apps installed. Any recommendations?

Also, 2 days after my Time arrived, Pebble announced Round:
    https://blog.getpebble.com/2015/09/23/timeround/

9. Alf S

Alf S Premium
    Supporter

Alfie
    I got a BB gift card for Xmas and decided I wanted to retire my Fitbit Charge and try out the Pebble Time since it was selling for a decent price and I liked its size and the features seemed to be something I'd like to try out.

So I got it and wore it for a couple of days and finally had to return it becuase there were just to many annoyances. One being the screen. I had read it was dim, but wow, it is just WAY too dim to be of much use, especially bad in darker rooms. Then as much as I thought I'd like having buttons to push to activate features, it became quite annoying after mere minutes. By end of day 2 I'd had enough and returned it.

I have since snagged a Zenwatch 2 45mm smartwatch to compliment my Zenfone 2 and so far I am extremely happy with my decision. It is SO much nicer having the ability to just swipe to read notifications etc. Not to mention being able to see a nice colorful BRIGHT screen. It has some great features and I'm still getting used to things, but for the money, it's a great "bang for teh buck" smartwatch IMO.