What's new

is a DVI input important? (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
I have been looking at two Samsung TVs, the 30'' Widescreen and the 27'' standard, both high definition. Anyways, is a DVI input important? These only have component video inputs. Somebody told me that TVs without a DVI will become useless because future formats like HD-DVD will not work on these two TVs. Is that true? I will only be using this TV for about 3-4 years until I get out of college and can afford something better.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
You need to get DVI/HDCP which is the standard that the MPAA is pushing for HD DVD and more importantly as the only connection standard for future HD processor interfacing. So yes, if you are the type prone to upgraditis or if you are not going to purchase an HDTV receiver right away or if you hope to pick up on HD DVD when it becomes available then I would say that a DVI/HDCP interface is very important, but only if you don't want to have to buy a new TV in a couple of years.

TyR

Grip
The new Samsungs will be released in next week or two, and they should have a DVI connection. I don't know for sure that they will, but I think it's almost certain. If you're the conservative type, wait and get one of those. If you're a bit more daring, get the old model (this year's model, the one on the way out) at a closeout price (which at Sears right now is $200 off) and hope that the lack of DVI doesn't become a problem. (And, FWIW, I don't think it ever will become a problem.)

SeanWillis

Agent
DVI/HDCP will likely be required for HD-DVD, pay per view HD and the ability to record HD. Anything broadcast free OTA (ie. CBS's CSI) will not be affected.

Cheers,

Sean

John Royster

Screenwriter
No real need for DVI. Its nice to have for a pure digital display like DLP or LCD.

HD-DVD, recording HD and what not are speculation on what interface they will use at this point.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If DVI becomes the only input for HD-DVD, recordable HD, or pay-per-view HD then the TV manufacturers that put out so-called "HD" and "HD-ready" sets should be burned to the ground. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks