1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a 65" RPTV too big?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Well-Known Member

I am within about a month of buying a Toshiba RPTV. I will either get a 57" or a 65". Is a 65" too bigt if my wife wants to watch a lot of Comcast Cable TV on it? We only have one HDTV channel here although there will be two more by March. The front of the couch is about 11 feet from the TV. I posted a similar topic earlier but thought this title was worded better and asked a more specific question. Please excuse me if it was not appropriate to do so.

2. Carlos Picart

Carlos Picart Member

Just make certain you have a big enough room. I friend of mine has a 63 inch TV, and it's absolutely great for watching movies. Keep in mind his room is the perfect size for such a TV. 11 feet sounds decent enough. Altho you'd like some leeway in moving your furniture around. I'd certainly recommend a larger TV. I have a 46 inch, and my bud's 63 inch makes for a more theatrical experience. If only I had a larger room, I would have got the larger TV.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Well-Known Member

Hey Brian, check out this site for a calculator that will allow you to enter screen size and seating distance and give you recommendations.

4. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Well-Known Member

I have a 133" screen, so 65" is way too SMALL for my tastes [​IMG]

5. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Well-Known Member

I have to agree with paul, I went from a 55" to a 65" mits to a 123" soon to be sony hs10 its never to big[​IMG]

Bob

6. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Well-Known Member

Well my main concern is my wife's happiness. She watches a lot of cable tv. I do not want something that looks bad on cable tv.

7. Modena

Modena Well-Known Member

Brian,

You ask for help, then refrain to your wife's happiness. In home theater, being subjective is more important than anything anyone in here will advise you. I could tell you that a 65 inch tv is way too big for what you need, but if your wife tells you that isn't so, what do you care? It sounds like whatever she tells you, you go buy. There are tons of sites that will tell you the correct viewing distance for a 65 inch tv, whether your wife likes it or not. Google. Try those first. Then if statistics lie, listen to your wife. The bigger the better in the long run if you have the cash.

8. Modena

Modena Well-Known Member

To follow up on what I said, there is absolutely no difference in quality from 57 tp 65 inch. None.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Well-Known Member

And ur cable service would be to blame if it looks bad. One should always judge the prowess of a set by a DVD source.
    FYI, I have a 65HX81 and we sit 8.5' from it. We get wows and ohhs from it everytime. Complaints? Maybe the occasional.."No more popcorn?"

10. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Well-Known Member

Brian,

Now that you have read all the advice in both of your threads on this subject, the final decision is yours!

Bigger is better....'IF' you have a good signal. If you watch a bunch of standard cable TV, I still think the 57" is what you want!![​IMG]

BTW, I went from a 40" direct view Mits to my 58" Pioneer Elite. I didn't want to be disappointed with the picture quality on the new RPTV. That is why I picked the Elite, and the 58" model!!