What's new

Is 65 db out of a sub without a signal seem a little much??? (2 Viewers)

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I just took my servo 15 in to my dealer because of a hum comming out of the amp and sub, no its not a ground loop o anything possibly wrong with my equipment, it makes the hum just pluged in without a signal. Now i got my spl meter and checked it 65 db out of the unit, Now my dealer says its in aceptible perameters. Is it just me or is that the biggest bunch of CRAP you've ever heard!!! Thats unexceptable. I know a friend who also has a servo and his didn't make any noise at all. Now it the second time i took it to get fixed for the same thing, now its a demo with full warranty, I think either i get a new one or my money back so i can go to the other paradigm dealer in the city and get one for the same price. What does everyone else think. Mabey its time for a svs cause man am i pissed:angry:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
That is a bunch of crap. Have them fix it, give you one without the problem, or give you your money back. That is not even close to being acceptable.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
And given that the sound of the Stimpson-Vodhanel Subwoofer is practically the object of worship by a small cult ("Bow down to bass..."), I imagine you couldn't go very far wrong with one of those if the Paradigm thing doesn't pan out.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I turned on my sub and receiver with no signal from another piece of gear. I turned the volume up to full reference. I held my SPL meter up to the sub (and I mean sliding the mic between the base plate and the drivers)... And... It did not read a thing from my PB2-Ultra. If I held my ear right up to the sub I could not so much as hear the ocean. I'm in Arizona, but grew up on the California coast, so I *wanted* to hear the ocean, and still couldn't! :)

-Robb

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What a pathetic dealer. This is not an unknown problem with the Paradigms and sadly, it's been going on for years. The problem is apparently due to a noisy transformer and Paradigm does provide a noise isolation kit. The success that this has in bringing down the noise to acceptable levels does not appear to be consistent and personally, I'd ask for a new transformer.

Just checked my servo 15. There is a mild hum coming from the amp that you can not hear at a couple of feet. Measured with my RS meter

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
Well I talked to my dealer the next day about the Their repair facility, which is a different building down the street. When i came in the next day to yell at everyone the manager within 2 words offered me the new sisemic 12 for all the trouble i've had with their repair facility. I declined because its not what i want, it doesen't have the same low end as the servo plus i want it mostly for HT, even though it was extremely impressive. So he got on the phone and ordered a new servo for me and dropped $100 off the price, and made sure i knew nothing like that would ever happen again since i buy alot of stuff and the sales people know who i am. So in a final thought all that made me very happy knowing they would do all that for me and has restore my faith in the store (THE REPAIR SHOP IS A DIFFERENT STORY) Now I cant wait for my new servo should be here in a week!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Nathan,

It sounds like the outcome was a good one. Then again, that $100 is Canadian money - and not quite the same $100 that we have here in the U.S. - given the exchange rate. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks