What's new

Is 32dB loud? (1 Viewer)

t1mberwolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
The projector i'm looking at for the screen size i want has a 14.5 foot throw. My seating is 17 feet from the screen. This puts my head 4 feet from the projector. Is 32dB going to be a distraction at this distance?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That is a little loud, but that's probably in high power mode. Most people use a projector in low power mode. What projector is it?

t1mberwolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I'm looking at either a Panasonic Pt-AE2000U or Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 UB.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Another way to look at it is a comparison. According to common references, ~30-35dBA is similar to a pre-cell phone library (you know, where the librarian came at you with a headsman axe if you spoke out loud.)

Generally, once you get a movie going, you won't hear it.

Leo

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you have a SPL meter that goes down that far, you may be able to produce a test tone with your receiver, so you know exactly how loud it is..

I have a Honeywell 17005 air purifier that I regularly shut off for movies and TV-- it obscures the pauses in dialogue, and makes speech harder to understand. My SPL meter isn't sensitive enough to measure the noise it emits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks