What's new

Is "300" worth a blind buy? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Have not seen the movie and was wondering if I should take advantage of the target sale on Blu-ray. Or just get it from netflix and see if I like it first.

Adam_G

Grip
Absolutely worth it. An amazing movie imo if you're into epics such as Troy, LotR, etc.

And from the reviews I've read, the HD versions of the movie are considered a benchmark of the format. So if you're looking for a showpiece for your system. This would be the disc to get :D

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I hope so. Got caught up in the hype and ordered it yesterday after telling myself I wouldn't do any more of this blind buying crap. :D

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I rented the standard DVD and if I like the movie as much as everyone says I will I'm going to buy the HD-DVD.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I did a blind buy yesterday and am waiting until the weekend to view it with an entourage of friends who have already watched it.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony

I totally agree! If you like Gladiator and the style of Sin City albeit in color,
then you'll love this movie and you won't regret the blind buy.

Get it now! No seriously, go and get it, now!! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely in the minority but I thought 300 was lousy. The slow motion and narration (it seemed like half the time it was telling you what was happening onscreen at the same time) were overused and eventually became unintentionally funny. Plus, the subplot about the wife that is only in the movie to attract a female demographic was awful.

All that being said, most people seem to love it so what the hell do I know. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I could've done without the movie-only wife subplot, but it didn't keep me from enjoying the movie. Since you appear to have at least a familiarity with the graphic novel, I'm sure you're aware that the narration is taken straight out of it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've read the comics and the narration worked for me there but it didn't work for me in the movie. I'm not the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons hoping that the movie is bad so I can write hundreds of paragraphs at AICN and on a blog about how they ruined Frank Miller's work either. The movie just didn't work for me and I'm a big fan of Frank Miller and the Sin City movie.

Like I said, most people loved the movie so I'm definitely in a minority with my opinion but I threw it out there as a counterpoint.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Sure, and I can appreciate that. I was just wanting to make sure that you and others understood that the flaw you precieved was the result of staying true to the source material. I can usually forgive those flaws easier than ones born from unnecessarily veering from the source.

I have to admit, the narration bothered me a bit at first. Mainly because the guy doing the narration played the friar in Van Helsing, and I kept expecting a funny ha-ha to crop up. :) Thankfully, I got over that.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator

Well, add me to that minority. The narration was tedious and those outfits. Yikes! The film didn't build to a rousng climax, it just fizzled out. For an action flim, there's a whole lot of posing going on, hey, guys, look at my abs and biceps, aren't they great, and the slow mo stuff just doesn't work. Its used incessantly, and just drags the picture down to a crawl. A great action film, this isn't.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think this thread is evidence that movie evaluation is too subjective to recommend a blind buy.

Jace_A

Second Unit
I thought the film was bombastic trash. However, if, as I do, you like "Showgirls", you'll probably be able to appreciate the film on the same level.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

A little "bombastic trash" is necessary now and then for healthy cinema diet! :D

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's actually more like all style and no substance. Michael Bay films come to mind immediately.

Comparing it to showgirls is too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks