What's new

Irreversible (1 Viewer)

Jason*O

Grip
There's a new Tartan dvd release (R0 PAL) of this great and controversal film next week. According to BlackStar the dvd contains alternate scenes. Does anyone have additional information on this release? Are any reviews up on the internet?

Thanks
Jason Overbeck
My site

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, Play.com lists the sound format as French stereo (DD 2.0) only....

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Well, I watched this last night (some of it peeping through my fingers). For anyone wanting to see what all the fuss is about, be warned that it is *very* harrowing and extremely disturbing. In addition, if you suffer from motion sickness some of the swirling camerawork will make you ill, and unless there's a fault with my player, there's some bright flashing lights at the end that will rule out anyone with epilepsy watching it.

The language track is French only, with subtitles as an option. A choice of 2.0 or 5.1 is offered on the menu track. There are various extras, including a useful text essay on the movie.

I must stress that this is not a movie for everyone. the section most talked about is a lengthy anal rape of a woman which is as horrible a scene as anything I've seen. There's also an opening scene in a gay S and M club, with assorted brief images of extreme activity. This culminates in (warning, don't read on if you are squeamish):

A man killed by having his face beaten (literally) to a pulp with the base of a fire extinguisher - which you see in one of the most graphic scenes of violence I've ever witnessed; it really is *very* violent. It's not helped by various drugged-out onloookers giving their voice of approval to the killing.

I normally don't have trouble sleeping, but it took me a couple of hours to get to sleep last night. It is a deeply disturbing film. That isn't to say that it's bad or exploitative, it's just bleak, and the knowledge that just such crimes as those depicted in the movie take place in real life every hour of every day doesn't do much to make one feel cheerful. Just don't expect to remain unscathed having seen this movie.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Irreversible (Tartan UK) (PAL All Region)

* PAL All Region
* ENGLISH SUBTITLES
* Anamorphic Widescreen
* Making of documentary
* Alternate scenes
* Special effects featurette
* Star and director filmographies
* Film notes
* Original trailers
* Scene selection
* World Cinema trailer reel

$29.95 and available from Diabolik DVD in New Jersey

graziano

Grip
Hello to all - I'm new to the board,

I was looking around and came across Korean Web site stocking Korean Limited Edition Digipack of "Irreversible" including A cut of the film, i'm not too sure on the extras as i cannot read Korean (If it is Korean what comes on my screen) Just thought this would be interesting to post. By the way, if anyone speaks Korean or can read, i'd appreciate if you could post a list of the extras.

The website is http://www.koreandvds.com

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Well, you can always try to translate it with an on-line translator program like Worldlingo.

I doubt if it will help much, but Worldlingo translates the (Korean) "Special contents" as:

Does that first sentence imply that there is no way to watch the movie with the scenes re-arranged in chronological order?

graziano

Grip
Hi, thanks for reply.

It's very hard to tell, whether its the translation or not, but this Korean Ltd Edition seems to be the best version out there so far, from the sounds of it, even better than the French release. By the way, the Runtime for this release is 97 Min+ bonus material (160 in total).
UK and Korea are both PAL (If i'm not mistaken) so i guess the UK 95 Min is not the REAL Uncut version?

RobD

Second Unit
The UK version was passed uncut (A Braver than usual decision from the BBFC).

graziano

Grip
So how do we explain the Korean 97 min Runtime and UK 95?
I know it's not a big deal, just thought they were both PAL so there couldn't have been different. But i have my Korean copy on order, so doesnt make a difference :D

Jason*O

Grip
I don't know much about PAL speedup, but that might explain the difference in running time. I ordered the British release and will recieve it in the next few days, I'll try to post comments on it soon.

Jason Overbeck
My Website

graziano

Grip
Thanks for clarifying that, I have my Korean copy on order and will rent out the UK version sometime this week to see if there is any difference between the versions.

graziano

Grip
Sorry, for the 97 mins, i was reffering to the Korean R0 (from paramount Korea)including the bonus material is 160min in total.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that the Korean disc, while technically not "cut", does involve some digital obscuring of the more explicit nudity. Does anyone know if this is true? (I believe that Korea's laws regarding showing of genitalia might be similar to Japan, if not more strict)

graziano

Grip
Yea, i've been told that as well, i've yet to receive my copy, they say they have made the parts with organs showing darker, or something like that. So more or less censored, so what difference would it make if it was cut?
I'll confirm this once i get my copy in the mail

graziano

Grip
Forgot to add, I'm also told that while the main feature (the film itself) is been censored, the special feature is uncensored. So you can see what is censored in the film uncensored in the special feature, so its not that bad after all :D

Jason*O

Grip
Hey,
I just watched the UK version and it's totally uncut and looks pretty darn good. The extras aren't as extensive as I'd originally read, basically you get two trailers for Irreversible (on 18 certificate and the other 15) and six teasers (clips of the movie that don't add up to much). There are also cast and Noe filmographies and six additional movie trailers for related Tartan films (Idiots, LIE, Trouble Every Day, Dog Days ...). The case insert in printed backwards and so the dvd packaging looks backwards - opens left to right instead of the usualy right to left. This dvd isn't really anything to write home about, but the film is one of the best of the year. Shocking, ambitious and refreshingly original in its use of backwards narrative.

Jason
My Site

CharlieC

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone received the Korean release yet?

Does it mean that whatever scene was censored, the same scene uncencored was included in the special features?

If the above is true, I will be ordering more Korean release of European DVDs. Papadvd.com is having a sale on a few European titles, such as He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not(1 disk, dts), Malena (uncut, uncensored, same as the Italian edition but with English subs, 2 disk, dts). I can have both of them for about $34 shipped!!!

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I received a copy of the Korean version yesterday. As referenced above it is a difficult movie to watch due to the graphic scenes and also due to the camera technique. It is difficult to tell if the graphic scenes were darkened as they take place in a darkened room anyway.

The packaging of the Korean DVD is excellent. I also noted that the six frame film strip that is included is quite nice.
The one in my package seems to be from one of the "famous" scenes.

The DVD is marked Region 0 and, as with all Korean DVDs, it is NTSC.

I have not checked out the extras yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks