What's new

Ironside season 4 Madman (Au) tv release in june 09 - as well as from Shout (1 Viewer)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
I pre order s4 this morning from Madman.com website. If you look around a bit after it released you can get a better price but I want my set as soon as I can get it
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hmmmm I've reevaluating my review on r4 s3 release of Ironside, I finnish off s3 yesterday afternoon and went back to watching a few of shouts s2. And the Madman r4 is better, better focused, better color balance, better all around Im upping my grade of s3 to a solid B from a C. Yes Madman didnt clean up some of the source scraches , dust, etc..... but the shout set is noticeably softer than the Madman set. Allot like how Universal s1 of Adam 12 is noticeably shaper than Shouts s2 of Adam 12 if only Universal did use those darn flipper disks. If you dont mind the shipping wait and shop around abit Ironside fans with a regionless dvd player can get Ironside R4 S4 for a prices about the same as if shout released s4 in the US:emoji_thumbsup:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Any hope that there might be future releases of Ironside that are meaningful will evidently be up to Mill Creek from now on. Shout confirms they no longer have the license to the show. I would hope that Mill Creek is gauging interest with this single disc release to see the viability of resuming the show after it's disgraceful handling by Shout because if not, then I guess this is just a case of Shout doing a write-off deal of some kind to get surplus product off their hands.

Apart from "Adam-12" I will never buy another Shout title again. They are releasing titles of zero interest to me and giving them committments of multiple releases *before* any sales figures are in on the first one, yet they plead poverty regarding doing one more season of "Bill Cosby Show" as if somehow they would risk bankruptcy to follow through and deliver, and they release another title in the most substandard quality possible for a DVD release. Sorry, but this is not my definition of the "messiah of TV on DVD" as someone put it once.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Where are you getting that Shout! no longer has the license to Ironside? The TSOD story talks about Shout! sublicensing several shows to Mill Creek. You can't sublicense what you don't have a license for.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What I don't understand is why people are so hung up about the releases coming out in another country. You can take out the region code on your DVD player in 30 seconds by hitting a few buttons and the problem is solved. At least it's coming out somewhere.
As for the person who commented about the picture quality, it's highly unlikely that there would be any major differences as I'm sure that all of the seasons are being sourced from the same Universal tape transfers.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes most dvd players can be made regionless with a code but some are completely lockdown like my toshiba dvd/vcr combo unit. So I can understand some peoples frustration if their stuck with one of those units. But I do disagree with you with video and sound quality I watch s2 r1 and s3 r4 and using the same source Madman did a nicer job with the quality of focus and color video capture on s3 I own both and watch the though a my vizo vx32l which is hook to two different dvd players. Im happy to see that there are atleast four season of Ironside and hopefully more.:emoji_thumbsup:

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

Though it wasn't in the TSOD article, Brian Ward of Shout posted this on their message board:

"...posts on this site's forums regarding Ironside are now moot, since the license has left Shout! Factory's hands."

I'll be curious to see how this plays out - will Mill Creek "burn off" Shout's DVDs as single-disc releases, or could they release more full seasons?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm sorry you feel that way, Jack. Shout is still releasing "Father Knows Best", and since that's one of my favorite all-time shows, I'm sticking with them. I don't know if they still have the rights to "Ozzie & Harriet", but I'll buy any future volumes they release from that series as well. It's understandable to be upset when a studio or company doesn't finish up a series, but I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Shout is still releasing a few things I'm interested in, and while I'm not necessarily ready to send them a Christmas card, I will keep buying some of their products.

Gary "they've also finished off some great series like 'McHale's Navy' and 'That Girl'" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary, I'm not a fan of "Father Knows Best" or "Ozzie And Harriet". I might have given them a try *if* I'd felt compelled to support the company in general to help further guarantee commitment to the shows that I personally was more interested in, but with "Ironside" abandoned and "Bill Cosby" not finished I don't feel I owe Shout! any of my money unless the title *really* interests me. That means no to "Peyton Place", no to "Rhoda" (I wouldn't even take that as a free gift from anyone), no to the 80s stuff that interests me not one whit etc. "Adam-12" yes, maybe "Room 222" (I did get "Paper Chase" but I wouldn't buy future volumes since I'm not a fan of the Showtime episodes) but they'd have to get the rights to *more* than one of my Holy Grail titles like "Dragnet" to get me remotely interested in what else they do from this point on. (In a similar vein, I stopped buying certain titles I was on the fence with from CBS/Paramount after the initial "Fugitive" S2 debacle, but after it was fixed I was willing to go back and finally buy further installments of "Mod Squad", "Cannon" etc.)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I still need to get season 3 from Down Under. I hope to do so in 2 or 3 months. After the DD supersale.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Excellent! Getting to the end of the Eve Whitfield era was what I was hoping for at minimum and from this point on, it would be all icing on the cake.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm just sorry Shout took so long to re-start the series. Picked mine up from MADMAN a couple of years ago.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm glad my patience in not going the R4 route is being rewarded at last. :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It may have taken a while for Shout to figure out how to continue releasing shows like Ironside and The Bill Cosby Show, but when they did, it wound up benefiting more than just those two shows.

For me, the wait is more than acceptable, because we got the Shout Select program out of it. And that gives more than just those two shows a chance to have their runs finished.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Checking my e-mail this morning, I saw a Shout Factory newsletter, and actually read it for once. And I'm glad I did.

Here's an excerpt from the e-mail

There's a new face in our Shout! Select store. You can mosey on over and order Rhoda: Season Four, plus look for these new additions next week: Ironside: Season Four and Roger Corman's Cult Classics: The Warrior And The Sorceress/Barbarian Queen.

So, two seasons in one year... I guess that's good news. I also guess that Ironside is selling well enough for Shout to keep it going through Shout Select.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks