What's new

Ironside SEASON 3 (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Perhaps they took in down to correct the errors in the listing. Or it went live earlier than they wanted.

I would hate to think this was just a tease.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
It still appears on the "New Releases" page under January. I'm hoping it went up early by mistake and we'll see it again after an announcement.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Please note, Ironside: Season Three will soon be available as an online direct-to-consumer exclusive. We are not accepting pre-orders at this time, but please stay tuned for details.

Now it says that. However, they are not DVD-r's. They are fully produced DVDs, including packaging. The only reason they're doing that is so that they can run a small number to supply the current demand.

David Lambert will have a more thorough explanation on this soon.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
says the same for Mr Belveder season 4, and Room 222 season 2 as well. Maybe they will only be available through Shout for a few months and then get a wider release later in the year. Anyone know what they charge for shipping and handling?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I have to say this. Most people know I am probably the most vociferous critic of Shout! on this message board in part because I have always been angry over their handling of both "Ironside" and "The Bill Cosby Show". But if in fact we are seeing the restarting of "Ironside" AND the long-overdue completion of "The Bill Cosby Show" through a way that can satisfy all parties (limited production to hold costs) I will be the first to give them praise and will even declare my willingness to end my boycott of all other Shout! titles that aren't named Adam-12. I think they are recognizing a model that has worked for many years with film music soundtrack labels of producing professional quality limited releases that meet the levels of those who are willing to buy them while avoiding being stuck with a surplus of copies, and this is perhaps a model other studios/labels might be willing to follow in the future for lesser titles.

I for one would certainly prefer the model of direct on-line purchase of factory produced sets with good quality packaging than DVD-Rs like Warner Archive.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
You can bet the house I'll be pre-ordering this one next week! Consider it an early Xmas Present from me to myself!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Jack, I was hoping that you would be pleased with this move from Shout!

With the Warner Archive, the Universal/TCM partnership, and now this move from Shout! Factory, we may be seeing the future of vintage material on DVD -- product sold directly to the consumer through an exclusive source.

This is one approach that solves the deflationary spiral the DVD market has found itself in by removing the incentive to continually discount product to make it move off shelves. Not the best situation for consumers, but unless the problem was addressed, I could not see how the studios could continue releasing titles.

Perhaps the daily exposure that Ironside receives on RTN will help make further season releases viable.

And I know I will do my part as soon as SF makes this set available for pre-order. (And great timing, too. I had been seriously considering buying seasons 3 & 4 from Australia.)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Good news

Now if they would just fix season 1 of Mister Ed and Fathers Knows Best, I'd really have no complaints with them.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jack P

Well, I have to say this. Most people know I am probably the most vociferous critic of Shout! on this message board in part because I have always been angry over their handling of both "Ironside" and "The Bill Cosby Show". But if in fact we are seeing the restarting of "Ironside" AND the long-overdue completion of "The Bill Cosby Show" through a way that can satisfy all parties (limited production to hold costs) I will be the first to give them praise and will even declare my willingness to end my boycott of all other Shout! titles that aren't named Adam-12. I think they are recognizing a model that has worked for many years with film music soundtrack labels of producing professional quality limited releases that meet the levels of those who are willing to buy them while avoiding being stuck with a surplus of copies, and this is perhaps a model other studios/labels might be willing to follow in the future for lesser titles.

I for one would certainly prefer the model of direct on-line purchase of factory produced sets with good quality packaging than DVD-Rs like Warner Archive.
I'm glad you posted this before I came here, because I was going to post something along the lines of "So, will the complaining about abandoning Ironside and the Bill Cosby Show finally end now that Shout has announced their continuations, albeit online".

One of the things preventing me from picking up Ironside in the first place was the apparent abandoning of it. With a possible future for it, I will be looking into seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for season 3.

Now, if only they could fix the first seasons of Rhoda and Mr. Ed, my only major problems with Shout would be gone.

Also, since Shout was created by some of the guys behind Rhino, I wonder if Shout's online DVD offerings are kind of like the Rhino Handmade stuff... meaning, they're limited to so many copies before they go out of print.

I suppose we'll find out more about Shout's new online exclusives as time goes on. And, hopefully, this will lead to other shows getting a shot on DVD like, say, Dragnet '68-'70.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Good news

Now if they would just fix season 1 of Mister Ed and Fathers Knows Best, I'd really have no complaints with them.

That would put them back on my good side, too. However, they still need to check their source material more carefully. I still would not preorder from them because you would never know what you might get.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The company in England, Network DVD, which distributes all of the old ITC properties, has been doing this for a while. Shows which have a very limited appeal they make available as exclusives just from their website. Among the shows that they have put out which aired in the U.S. are From a Bird's Eye View (NBC 1970), Shirley's World (ABC 1971), Espionage (NBC 1963), Man of the World (Syndicated 1962) and the just released Whiplash (Syndicated 1960). It would be great of some of the other companies picked up on this and started doing the same thing with their shows. There are so many titles languishing in the vaults which could sell a few thousand copies. Not enough to justify a broad release but certainly enough to make some money if done in this way. I think that what might be happening with Shout though is that they paid to license full runs of these series so they are stuck having paid for them already and now they need to figure out a way to make some of their money back. I seriously doubt that if a show sold poorly for them that they would then go back and spend more on further seasons. They likely paid upfront for the full runs of all of these shows and now they are just trying to recoup as much of their outlay as is possible.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Neil Brock plus there's HGWT , more Canon , JAG, etc...... to get. I'll pickup shouts Ironside if they make to s5 and counting

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've never owned a region-free player (though my computer DVD is region-free) and I'm glad I didn't invest in one since I would much prefer having an R1 release. It was always annoying that the R4 market would be ahead of the US market for an American television classic since I can conversely never recall a foreign show having more releases in the US than its country of origin.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

I've never owned a region-free player (though my computer DVD is region-free) and I'm glad I didn't invest in one since I would much prefer having an R1 release. It was always annoying that the R4 market would be ahead of the US market for an American television classic since I can conversely never recall a foreign show having more releases in the US than its country of origin.
I don't own a region-free player either. I just hacked out the region code on my player which took me a whole 30 seconds.

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
Hi all,
For those purchasing the Australian sets, Season 5 is tentatively slated for release by Madman Entertainment in May 2010, with subsequent seasons continuing throughout the year.
Cheers

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MadmanTV

Hi all,
For those purchasing the Australian sets, Season 5 is tentatively slated for release by Madman Entertainment in May 2010, with subsequent seasons continuing throughout the year.
Cheers

That's good news but I'm going to wait and see now that Shout has resumed releases. I'm still only on 2nd season in my viewing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks