What's new

Iron Man sequel news (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks for the links, good stuff.

Shame Terrence Howard's out, like others here I prefer continuity, they should have sorted things out with him. In the dvd docs he seemed very enthusiastic about the film and now he's out. One thing I noticed about Howard in the films I've seen him in, he nearly always looks like he's on the verge of tears.

Cheadle's a good actor, especially when he's not attempting a Cockney accent. ;)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Based on his recent turn in Traitor, I have to disagree. I think he's weak, especially in certain roles. (I actually liked him the Oceans films.) Perhaps his humor and charisma will shine through as War Machine. Here's hoping.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
According to Empire magazine Terrence Howard got a bigger paycheck than Robert Downey Jr for Iron Man, is that possible? Supporting actor getting more than the star?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
He was the first member of the cast signed. If Paramount had signed Downey first, they probably wouldn't have budged above his salary for anyone else, but that's not how it happened.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

The studio did not want Robert Downey Jr. for the role. Favreau went to bat for him. Supposedly, Howard was not very easy to work with either. When the sequel bacame a possibility, he wanted more money and they said no. Then they said they wanted Don Cheadle for the first one but he couldn't commit.

It still bothers me in terms of continuity but beyond that, I think they passed on a truly gifted actor for one who is hit or miss. Just my opinion.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Remember how much they paid Brando in Superman. He got a ton of cash for his few minutes in the film. Course, he was Brando, and Reeve was an unknown.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
And I think Reeves was third billed on the opening credits? After Brando and Hackman.

Don Cheadle was effectively nasty in Steve Soderbergh's Out of Sight.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Agreed. (Ditto for Out of Sight.) Like I said, he's good sometimes. I think his sleepwalking performance in Traitor is the fault of the director. When directed well, he performs well. With Favreau at the helm, I hope to see a fun and charismatic portrayal of Rhodes.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
everyone in my circle is ecstatic that howard is out as rhodey/warmachine. the consensus is that he is way too soft as well as a lame. lol. i happen to agree.

cheadle is potentially way more likeable in that role, imo.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'm throwing my hat in the cheadle ring...i never like howard as rhodes. at all.

and i like cheadle in everything i've ever seen him in. including traitor.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Sam Jackson Fired As Nick Fury?

By Josh Tyler
This should be a week of celebration in geekland, with Warner Bros. and Fox close to nearing an agreement that will get Watchmen in theaters. But all is not well in the world of comics adaptations. Watchmen is on track, but now it looks like Marvel Studios is about to do something very stupid with their upcoming Avengers themed superhero flicks: They may fire Samuel L. Jackson.

If you hung around till the very end of Iron Man you saw Sam Jackson pull a cameo as the noteworthy Marvel universe character Nick Fury. The plan, or so we were all told, was to give the character a larger role in subsequent Marvel films, with Sam playing him all the way through. Today in the LA Times though, Jackson reveals that negotiations between he and Marvel have broken down. Says Sam, “there seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world.” Sounds like he’s having trouble getting paid.

The worst thing about all of this is that Jackson says as recently as a week ago he talked to Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau and was told they’re busily writing stuff for him to do in the sequel. But a week later Sam says he talked to his manager and negotiations between he and Marvel “aren't really working that well.” Jackson explains, “There was a huge kind of negotiation that broke down. I don't know. Maybe I won't be Nick Fury. Maybe somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it.”

Marvel still insists they want him in the role, so it sounds like they really are just wrestling over money. Actually this sounds a lot like a negotiating tactic on the part of Sam. Fans with long memories will remember that Jon Favreau pulled a similar stunt a few months ago while negotiating his new contract with the studio. When fans heard Marvel might be playing cheap with its star director, the resulting fanboy outrage helped push Marvel into giving Jon everything he wanted. Maybe Jackson is trying to pull something similar.

Or maybe this is Terrence Howard all over again. The studio has already shown a willingness to drop integral actors and replace them with people willing to work cheaper. I hope not. Iron Man 2 needs more Sam.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm not a comics person (I don't know that I'd even heard of Iron Man before the film) so I could be entirely wrong, but I think I heard something about Nick Fury being changed a few years ago - before the film - to become a Samuel L Jackson type. Is that correct?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They started a parallel line of comics called the Ultimate Universe designed to free their characters from forty years of continuity and to bring a harder, more realistic edge to their stories. It was here that Nick Fury was redesigned to resemble Jackson. The backstory is similar, with him still being a WWII vet.

John Doran

Screenwriter
this is what nick fury looks like in the Ultimates.

he was drawn to look like Sam Jackson because the writer (Mark Millar) loves to fantasy-cast.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Is there really any doubt anymore that this new Marvel Studio is being run by a bunch of douches? I've yet to see one thing go right for IM2, and it is now officially on my "I think it will suck" list, which is accurate about 95% of the time. I think the last time it was wrong was "The Matrix."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks