What's new

IR Remote Extender for HT (1 Viewer)

n3ok318

Grip
Real Name
Jacob K.
As I am building my HT, I realized I need to run the wires for IR remote extender before putting the walls up. From my knowledge, CAT5 would be the wire I need, and on the receive end, I will have to connect it to the IR Receiver. On the send end, I will have an IR control box and have it connected to the receiver, tv box, ps3 etc. Is that correct? And if someone can give me links to the actual products I need to buy, that would be great.

n3ok318

Grip
Real Name
Jacob K.
I was chatting with Monoprice and two of the tech support recommended me this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1010503&p_id=7973&seq=1&format=2 I wanted a cleaner look with a hole in the wall with IR receiver sticking out rather than placing the huge receiver in front of the screen. Are my options limited here?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You want a an IR hub and the associated receivers/emitters that go with it. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=182-860

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I use a system from Buffalo Electronics that is very similar to the one that Robert_J linked to (it's also offered at Parts-Express).

You usually have to piece together the full system (receiver block, power supply, repeater, flashers), I have an "eye" mounted above my screen right where the wall meets the ceiling. I used generic cat-5 wiring to make the runs (just choose matching conductors at each end) and in some cases, to extend the flashers (for my projector).

It's a fun, and relatively easy DIY project. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks