What's new

IR receiver is blocked (1 Viewer)

peterac

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Hi all,

I recently got a cabinet for my cable box, audio receiver, DVD player, etc. The TV is sitting on top of the cabinet.

The problem is that the doors of the cabinet are solid wood so I can't use my remotes to control any of the components in the cabinet.

This must come up alot. Any helpful ideas?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
IR - Repeaters are your answer.

Someone else will post a more direct link I'm sure, or do a little google-ing. The main idea is that you place a repeater in front of all of your components, and then run a line from all of these to a large IR receiver thingy outside of your cabinet (probably near your TV). This unit will then catch your remote signals and send them the correct direction. A little more research will help clear up any questions you have. Good luck !! :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
You might want to consider a Harmony 890 Universal Remote ($250 on Amazon), which includes an IR bridge. I have the 880, its an excellent remote.

Otherwise an IR repeater is probably your best bet. Enjoy!

peterac

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Thanks. I was thinking of getting a "super remote" anyway so this will help with my other situation as well.

Just curious, with the Harmony 890 Universal Remote, can I expect to consolidate all 4 of my remotes to one beast? I have a remote for the cable box, the DVD player, the Yamaha receiver, and soon a CD player.

Thanks!

peterac

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Sorry, I meant to ask....will the Harmony 890 work on a cable box?

Thanks again...

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Yes, the Harmony remote will allow you to consolidate all of your remotes.. I use mine for my Morotola DCT6416 Cable Box, Denon Receiver, Sharp TV, and Toshiba HD-A1. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are unlucky and your cable box is not in Harmony's database, then a quick call to their customer support will get it added. The 880/890 can have eight activities and replace up to 15 different remotes.

One of my 880's replaces 6 remotes and the other replaces 5. No one has to remember to turn on the receiver and put it on input 2 and put the TV on input 3 to watch the HD Tivo. They hit the "Watch HD Tivo" activity on the remote's LCD screen and everything is taken care of.

-Robert

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Also look at the Home theater master Mx-3000, it's a little price but well worth the money! Get the package with the RF Base station and you can control anything from anywhere in your house. Plus it's a full color touchscreen remote with great hard button right, left, up down, select, volume and channel buttons.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
How hot does it get in that closet?

You might want to open the doors for ventilation anyways

Those Harmony remotes are supposed to be awesome by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508