What's new

iPod & Mac problem. (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OK, now I have an odd problem that popped-up over the weekend. My Mac will no longer 'see' my iPod. With the fiewire/dock cable the computer will recharge the iPod, but it wont update said iPod in iTunes :confused:

I'm running the newest versions of both OS X and iTunes. Any help on how to get my Mac to recognise my iPod will be greatly appreciated.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Does it show up in the list of available drives in the finder?

If not,
Have you tried another firewire port?

If yes,
Does the iPod appear in iTunes "Source" box?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
It does not show up in the finder from either (my eMac has 2) firewire port. But firewire ports WILL charge the iPod however.

Ben Cloud

Grip
Try logging in under a different account (create one if neccessary) and see if the iPod will show up. If is shows up under a diff account, there could be some corrupt file in your Users/username/Library folder (probably in the preferences folder - maybe something like the com.apple.iPod.plist file).

If that's a no-go you may want to make sure you have a backup of the data on the iPod, download the latest iPod software update and perform a restore on the iPod.

Could also try hooking it up to someone elses computer too.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
man, i was about to go into this huge spiel (sp?) about checking your device manager, verifying the drivers, blah blah blah ...

then i realized you said mac....

serves ya right!

JUST KIDDING! ;) :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OK, The Mac will not recognize the iPod on any of the accounts.

All the songs are still on my Mac harddrive so I'm not worried about restoring the iPod. I just can't restore the iPod until my computer will recognize it!

I'm going to try to find a different cable and hope that this is going to be a cheap fix and not need to buy another iPod

:angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I once had a problem with iTunes (on the PC) recognizing CD's. I had to reinstall (i.e. install over) my current iTunes.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Weird, not sure what to make of the problem. You might want to check the forums at iPod Lounge.
http://www.ipodlounge.com/

I currently dont own a iPod. I've owned every iPod except the 3G. I keep on giving them up or selling them. Now I was informed yesterday that I won an iPod Mini from work! These things are everywhere!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If you can't get it to be recognized at all, have you tried the "force firewire mode?" Sounds like either blown FW port or any part of the connection from iPod to your mac. My other computer had a blown FW port that could still charge, but it wouldn't mount any drive.

Try it on another computer.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've already reinstalled iTunes, the iPod software, and the latest and greatest updates to Panther.

iPodlounge (normally a great site) didn't have any info on this problem with the exception of one guy's broken cable (hopefully this is my problem), all the other iPod woes on that site seem to be the result of WinXP.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
This isn't a problem on the Mac end. It's a problem with your cable (hopefully) or the connection in the iPod. A friend had this same symptoms with his iPod. It didn't matter whether it was connected to my Mac or his PC. His solution was to just switch to using the USB connection.

There are some threads about this problem in the iPod discussion forums on the Apple website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks