What's new

Ipod Docking Bar for Car? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Does anybody make a proper Ipod docking bay for in the car?

I have had zero luck finding one and find this absurd.

You can buy cheap plastic holders for mounting it to the dashboard or for placing it in a drink holder, but neither are really a docking bay.

The same goes for cables. Currently, I'm using a combination of a cigarette lighter adapter for power and a double-ended 1/8" stereo cable for the audio. It makes for a very clumsy and ugly installation. The closest cable that I have found is a combination A/V cable with power, but it includes 3 RCA adapters on the cable. Left and Right Audio and Video. I do not need the video and in order to adapt the audio to the car, I would need a secondary cable to combine the L & R audio into the 1/8" stereo jack on my dashboard.

Every other product from XM radio to cellphones all have proper docking bays, yet the hugely popular Ipod does not. I find this absolutely baffling.

I am tempted to buy the cable that I mentioned above and make modifications, but it's fairly expensive and am convinced that as soon as I do, somebody will release a proper docking bay (cables and all) for the same price.

Has anyone out there seen anything?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You can do like I did and get the Alpine 9856 head unit and it's FullSpeed iPod cable. Cable goes on the iPod, iPod goes in the glove compartment, the head unit duplicates all iPod controls and charges the iPod too. $199 for the head unit + 29.99 for the cable at Crutchfield:

Alpine CDA-9856

Alpine KCE-422i iPod cable

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This looks much better (and cheaper) than the previous Alpine product. I may have to revisit this!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi the CDE-9857 and higher models have "percentage searching" meaning you can search through your expansive library much quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks