What's new

iPhone user goes to the Samsung Galaxy S3 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam, it's a sucker's bet. Everyone complains about the their battery. What, you think the 4S was immune, Mr. Rocking a mophie?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
If you listened to the podcast, Ihnatko's issue with the wifi was that it would pick up stray wifi networks from Starbucks, let's say, and connect to them (since they all use the same SSID). As he drove down a Main Street, he would connect and disconnect from one wifi hotspot to another. I have the same issue with Xfinity wifi on my commute home. So that wifi toggle was essential. However, he could use the NFC feature to have a TecTile in the car that would reconfigure his phone for driving mode, including disabling wifi.
My use case is that my 4G is faster than wifi at work. But 4G coverage is limited to certain areas of the office. So I toggle between the two depending on whether I'm downloading a podcast or just surfing the net.
Hilarious. In a sad way. Very snobby and elitist sad. Very Cupertino.
Sorry, but not all of us are Morlocks. We can figure stuff out. And if you don't want to even think about it, you don't have to. The only thing I toggle off because of battery concerns is GPS, I rarely use it unless I'm driving to an unfamiliar place, which happens less than once a month.
Ive not experience this problem, so I didn't appreciate much it was a problem for Ihnatko; it didn't register as meriting so much time and focus as reason to switch to Android. I can only guess its a urban problem. As a surbanite, with my phone in a car charger, I don't have a problem with th phone switching willy nilly between 3G and wifi. And if it did, it doesn't affect battery while driving, since I have a car charger.
So, I see how this could be a thing for others :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
http://cobravision.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/the-aol-of-smartphones-2/

http://cobravision.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/why-taller-bigger/

http://cobravision.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/its-taller/

The shocking thing to me is all of the people who think these new features came out at Cupertino out of whole cloth. It's obvious they're watching Android very closely and taking in the stuff that hadn't thought of in previous iterations. I know some people cling to the belief that Android has nothing to do with these features, but come on, who are we kidding?

And the iPad Mini? A direct result of the 7" Galaxy Tab.

Quote:
Vice President Eddy Cue urged then-chief operating officer Tim Cook in January 2011 to build a 7-inch tablet, according to an email from Cue that Samsung Electronics introduced as evidence in a U.S. patent trial.

In an email addressed also to software chief Scott Forstall and marketing head Phil Schiller, Cue said he believed there was a market for a 7-inch tablet and that "we should do one".

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hanson said:
Sam, it's a sucker's bet. Everyone complains about the their battery. What, you think the 4S was immune, Mr. Rocking a mophie?
Have you not seen the Retina iPad LTE numbers? they came in better in reviews than Apple's own guidance.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
We'll have to wait a few weeks now, won't we? Yet another pointless fight.

And my final word on the new iPhone:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Madden series is essentially the same game every year with a couple of new features and updated rosters.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You mean the Kindle Fire that was released at the tail end of 2011 was referenced in an email in January of 2011? You mean not only are they creative geniuses at Apple, but they're also precognitive?

Oh man, Android doesn't stand a chance against precogs.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam, I just reread your post,and if you think a yet unannounced 7" tablet was the inspiration for an Apple 7" tablet rather than the existing 7" tablet, you are drowning in koolaid and denial.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
(Click for larger photo)

What a beauty!

Bought a black Seidio Surface Case for my Red AT&T Galaxy S3

Fits beautifully into the Samsung Multimedia Dock

Once in the dock the S3 goes into a "desktop mode" (pictured) perfect for a nighttime clock and alarm

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hanson said:
Sam, I just reread your post,and if you think a yet unannounced 7" tablet was the inspiration for an Apple 7" tablet rather than the existing 7" tablet, you are drowning in koolaid and denial.
I don't understand what argument you are trying to make other than to get me riled up.
Apple makes different form factors of many of their products. So far they have made 6 generations of iPhones before changing or diverging form factor. They have made 3 generations of iPads without changing form factor. Clearly there is a market for lower performing lower cost versions of these tools. One way to do that is to sell the older versions cheaper, thus expanding your base at the cost of profits. Apple does this with both products now. And does this because their supply chain allows them to leverage the economies of scale that they have sold in to minimize how much lost profit these are hit with while still temping those who buy them into thinking about the newer models.
The other way is to make specifically gimped versions of those products that still hit the core functionality that people NEED without giving them all of the functionality that they want, acting as an upsell opportunity. The rumored 7" iPad fits into this slot. There are litterally hundreds of models in this space but only two are successful, the Fire and the Nexus 7, and MAYBE the Galaxy Tab. Apple is certainly interested in the numbers that Amazon and Google have sold their tablets in but I don't think they are responding to these products at all but as a mirror to the success that the mini and nanos had: Build market share at lower price points without sacrificing profits. If a 7" iPad is introduced Apple could repeat history and hold both of those as examples at launch of how other competitors are doing it with minor success and why Apple is going to do it differently, the Apple way. I doubt the tab would even be mentioned.
70k tablets a day is respectable if not great. How many of those are 7" tabs tho? Is Kindle Fire in this list or no? Out of 100+ tablets who is ruling the roost?
http://gigaom.com/mobile/android-this-week-3-new-droid-razrs-tablet-sales-up-galaxy-s-iii-on-a-roll/
Has samsung announced numbers since the "Quite small" debacle? I can't find them.
http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-backtracks-on-galaxy-tab-sales-figures-shipments-not-sales-20110131/
One other thing: iPod touch fits narrowly in between these worlds. Few companies have anything successful on the market that does what it does as well. And surprisingly nobody seems to really be trying. Weird huh?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ronald Epstein said:
(Click for larger photo)
What a beauty!
Bought a black Seidio Surface Casehttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
for my Red AT&T Galaxy S3

Fits beautifully into the Samsung Multimedia Dock
Once in the dock the S3 goes into a "desktop mode" (pictured) perfect for a nighttime clock and alarm 
That does look very nice, the S3 is a sharp looking device. I won't even bust your chops over the Bose in the background or start chanting "for shaaaaaaame" or anything. =)

But.... I thought the chorus was that these devices don't need a case? Is it just a style thing or what?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Someone says they don't need a case/cover?
I would think all these type of devices can always use some protection from drops or bumps.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I definitely would not use any phone without a case/bumper.

I love the way the GS3 feels naked in the hand. I fought myself
to buy a case for it. However, I knew the day would come when
it would slip out of my hand. I don't have this insured, so I went
out and bought the best slim-form case that I could. Hardly adds
any bulk to the phone.

As for the Bose WaveRadio. Yeah, I know.... I wanted an elaborate
alarm clock and I spent hundreds of dollars more than I should for it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just think Ron, that dock cost a couple of dollars more than the Lightning port adapter.

http://cobravision.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/q-how-do-you-kickstart-a-stagnating-accessory-market/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, I definitely would not use any phone without a case/bumper.
As for the Bose WaveRadio.  Yeah, I know.... I wanted an elaborate
alarm clock and I spent hundreds of dollars more than I should for it.
Interesting, a couple of replies shot me down the other day when I suggested a mophie to someone...
And I think the WaveRadio is an interesting thing, it's not as bad as some make it out to be but it sure is pricey for what you get. I'm not a bose hater, I like their wood based speakers. But some of their more plasticky speakers sell for way more than they are worth (to me at least!)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well we did it. We officially are iphone-->Samsung GS3 now.
I ordred through BestBuy's rewardzone mobile site because
they give you $100 in rz money for each phone you buy.
That ends tomorrow for anyone else who might do that.
We will be picking them up tomorrow. would have gotten
a red one but I wanted to get them in store and not have it shipped here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks