What's new

iPhone user goes to the Samsung Galaxy S3 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/323457/iphone-user-goes-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/30#post_3972642
I don't understand why people -including Ihnatko -are toggling 3G and wifi and Bluetooth and GPS on and off in various permutations?

Turning off the network connections saves battery time. However, thanks to Ron's tip earlier, I installed Juice Defender. This app does all that for you. When the screen is off it shuts down all the connections, then reactivates them occasionally to poll for facebook, email, etc updates. You can also set it to not do that during sleeping hours. Great app. Thanks Ron!

They're coming out with a wireless charger for the phone. Verizon already has this available. Plugging the phone in is one thing, but to have a specific place on my desk to lay my phone which will charge it up is something else entirely. I might pick up a couple of these things - one for home, one for the office.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I don't understand why people -including Ihnatko -are toggling 3G and wifi and Bluetooth and GPS on and off in various permutations? Doesn't the Android system just handle it and keep the phone from killing itself searching for signals? Maybe it's a road warrior thing. I don't experience this as a problem needing to be solved with tweak ability.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I don't think the iPhone had a power control feature that turned[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]off the radio signals. Could be wrong. I never noticed it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I have Juice Defender on my phone, but I don't necessarily like[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]it. When in my pocket, I don't want JD turning off my radio signals[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)](cell, WiFi) that disable the ability to get immediate alerts to emails [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]and chat messages that arrive.[/COLOR]

I am going to keep praising this phone till the cows come home, but

every day I love it more and more. It's more like a computer than

the iPhone was. Extremely fun phone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, because managing power is not something users should have to do, ever. =p and they should not be trusted to do it right in any event. =pp
Philosophical differences matter.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
9ed14a7e_iphonethink.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hanson,

I was just thinking about that today in the car.

Apple does everything in small increments and
they are still catching up to features that have
already been available on the Android platform.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
DaveF said:
I don't understand why people -including Ihnatko -are toggling 3G and wifi and Bluetooth and GPS on and off in various permutations? Doesn't the Android system just handle it and keep the phone from killing itself searching for signals? Maybe it's a road warrior thing. I don't experience this as a problem needing to be solved with tweak ability.
If you listened to the podcast, Ihnatko's issue with the wifi was that it would pick up stray wifi networks from Starbucks, let's say, and connect to them (since they all use the same SSID). As he drove down a Main Street, he would connect and disconnect from one wifi hotspot to another. I have the same issue with Xfinity wifi on my commute home. So that wifi toggle was essential. However, he could use the NFC feature to have a TecTile in the car that would reconfigure his phone for driving mode, including disabling wifi.
My use case is that my 4G is faster than wifi at work. But 4G coverage is limited to certain areas of the office. So I toggle between the two depending on whether I'm downloading a podcast or just surfing the net.
Sam Posten said:
No, because managing power is not something users should have to do, ever. =p and they should not be trusted to do it right in any event. =pp
Hilarious. In a sad way. Very snobby and elitist sad. Very Cupertino.
Sorry, but not all of us are Morlocks. We can figure stuff out. And if you don't want to even think about it, you don't have to. The only thing I toggle off because of battery concerns is GPS, I rarely use it unless I'm driving to an unfamiliar place, which happens less than once a month.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Sam Posten said:
Wholeheartedly agree. You should have to take your iPhone to the Apple store every time you need the battery re-charged. :D

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a Samsung running windows mobile, so I don't have a dog in this hunt. Having said that I think its great that the marketplace is getting phones that are giving people a choice or even a reason to switch from the iPhone. Hopefully this will cause Apple (and everyone else) to work that much harder to come out the next revolutionary, not evolutionary phone.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't know about others, but our iPad 3 sure as heck could use easier/quicker access to toggling WiFi and cellular signal on/off separately. You can do whatever you want on your own devices, but I'd rather save the battery some both for the short term (ie. battery life of each current recharge) and the long haul (ie. more frequent recharges = shorter useful life).

iOS *might* be better at the automagick power management/conservation game than Android, but so far, I don't see it being quite that much better for our case where signal strength for *both* can come and go frequently (inside our house). When the signal's strong and stable, it's not bad I guess, but that's rarely the case inside our house and in certain other places, so ultimately, it'd still be best to have quick-and-easy access to toggle on/off WiFi and cellular data.

_Man_

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well, after the announcement it seems like a lot of the "new" iPhone 5 features were in the SGS already. Certainly an easy choice for me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We are probably getting two SGS3's tomorrow.
Bestbuy mobile online has a deal that gets you $100 in reward zone dollars
On each phone If you buy from their mobile site.
Of course I can't figure out how to get two phones in the cart and
How to get the original plan into the cart.
So we'll be going in to see if they can get it to work.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Well, after the announcement it seems like a lot of the "new" iPhone 5 features were in the SGS already. Certainly an easy choice for me.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]As Apple was rolling out the announcements, I kept thinking,[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"okay, this has already been on the Android platform for years."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Other than a better battery life, which I must give kudos to [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Apple for always being able to do better than anyone else on, [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]there is nothing revolutionary about this film.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I am so happy to see that the Android community is about to[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]grow here. Look forward to discussing the GS3 with all of you.[/COLOR]

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323457/iphone-user-goes-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/60#post_3974189

Other than a better battery life, which I must give kudos to
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Apple for always being able to do better than anyone else on, [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]there is nothing revolutionary about this film.[/COLOR]
They said it's sorta better than the 4S. It's probably about the same... until you turn on the 4G.

I think the Verizon users will be complaining about the battery when it's released. A lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks