What's new

iPhone tethering (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have a 1G iPhone. It is slow surfing the net on it with EDGE, but it is also slow when on a wireless network, plus there is no FLASH etc. I have checked and I have 500ms latency with EDGE. My home wireless network is giving me a ping of 69ms.

I have been thinking about upgrading to a 3G vs 3Gs. I tried running them side - by - side with some intense web pages over 3G but noticed little difference. Over a wireless network I suspect the difference would be nominal too.

I was inclined to think that the reason pages download slow was because of latency issues with 3G and Edge. However I am starting to suspect it is more related to the processor on the iPhone choking on pages with lots of content. The 3G uses the same processor as my 1G.. The 3Gs processor is supposedly faster, but I didn't see any noticeable difference with web content.

I know there is a way to tether an iPhone to a laptop to access the 3G network via bluetooth. (it is not hard, just GOOGLE for instructions; Jailbreak not required) I am curious if anyone here has tried it with any success. I am most interested in knowing if pages and flash programs download at reasonable speeds or if the slowness from the iPhone carries through. (In other words, is it the 3G network or the iPhone that is choking)

I am hopefult that with tethering I could use a netbook or laptop to access the web. my work firewall has become so restrictive as to make the internet virtually unusable. I have thought about bringing in my own laptop for when I need to do research. I need to know that I could access the net at a reasonable speed and not the snails pace that my iPhone does. If the 3G network is going to be as slow as the iPhone has been at delivering content then there really is no point in trying and I can save myself a few hundred bucks. If, however, it is comparable to what I can get from my home network then the expense is well worth it.

If anyone here has done it please let me know what your experience has been.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have owned every incarnation of the iPhone.

Each one has delivered noticeably better speed.

The 3G was noticeably faster than EDGE. When
I upgraded to the 3GS I noticed an increase in
overall page loads. I am quite happy with the
load times on my 3GS phone.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
That is incorrect. I'm not going to discuss the procedure here - but, as I said in the OP, you do NOT have to jailbreak a phone in order to tether it.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

You need to jailbreak and stick with 3.0 software, so its a no go for me....
That is incorrect. I'm not going to discuss the procedure here - but, as I said in the OP, you do NOT have to jailbreak a phone in order to tether it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My understanding is that if you upgraded to 3.1 (and all new phones would ship with it) you DO need to jailbreak in order to use the registry hack you are talking about. If they've worked around that it's news to me.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have found workarounds for 3.1 which do not require a jailbreak. Since I don't have a 3G I cannot test it myself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been able to successfully tether 3G from my iPhone
to my iMac without any wires.
This method works with the iPad as well so one may not have
to opt for the 3G version or pay AT&T $30 a month.

You need a jailbroken phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks