What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TonyD said:
Me. She will be away with her MacBook Air.

I'll be home with an old Samsung tablet that is useless.
And an old iPad with a cracked screen that is near the end.

I misunderstood initially: So your wife is leaving you and taking the MacBook Air with her :) You need a new device while you're home alone. You're thinking about the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement for all-around use at home; not specifically as a travel device?

I love my iPad and use it all the time, at home and business travel. But I also have an iMac for home use for when the iPad is insufficient. If I was going to have only one device for all my home computing, I'd buy a laptop. The iPad is, to me, still a complement but not yet a standalone device.

The iPad Pro might change that equation, but it's early. Going that route puts you an early-adopter position.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read about this earlier today and I can understand the flap over this if true. I've seen a lot of people use styluses on other tablets for navigation. They find it easier then using their finger.

I myself tried it once or twice, but found using my finger more efficient for navigation and typing. But that's me. I'm mainly using the Pencil for drawing and painting. That's probably how Apple wants to see the Pencil used if they are truly thinking of disabling the ability to navigate with it.

We'll see what happens.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If this comes to fruition I'll be pissed and demand a refund from Apple.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Once again, please world, STOP MAKING JUDGEMENTS BASED ON BETAS

What about the possibility that the severe negative reaction to this "feature" in the beta is what caused Apple to restore the functionality? :)

Beta judgements seem appropriate for beta software. ;)

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So somehow on the Pro's launch I had gotten it in my head that they only had the Apple SIM inside and you couldn't get on Verizon's network unless you specifically bought an iPad FROM Vz.

Fast forward to last week when the 9.7" Pro launches and I read somewhere "It's as easy to swap to Verizon by going to the Vz store and having them give you a Verizon formatted SIM, just like the 13". Wait, what? Researching via Google didn't seem conclusive so I hauled mine to the Verizon store tonight, spent 20 minutes doing paperwork and signatures, popped a new SIM in ($10.60 for the pleasure!) and tied it to my existing Verizon cell account for the usurious $10 a month fee and I am now Vz LTE powered. Definitely worth $120 a year to me for the capability.

Wooohoo!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No new iPad for me or the wife for now. My iPad Air 2 is still fine for my uses and I don't want to downgrade to 32 GB. And my wife would rather keep the iPad 3 and save the money for the HT upgrade. I'll check the lay of the land after I've spent all my money on the basement :)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So somehow on the Pro's launch I had gotten it in my head that they only had the Apple SIM inside and you couldn't get on Verizon's network unless you specifically bought an iPad FROM Vz.

Fast forward to last week when the 9.7" Pro launches and I read somewhere "It's as easy to swap to Verizon by going to the Vz store and having them give you a Verizon formatted SIM, just like the 13". Wait, what? Researching via Google didn't seem conclusive so I hauled mine to the Verizon store tonight, spent 20 minutes doing paperwork and signatures, popped a new SIM in ($10.60 for the pleasure!) and tied it to my existing Verizon cell account for the usurious $10 a month fee and I am now Vz LTE powered. Definitely worth $120 a year to me for the capability.

Wooohoo!
So that's $10/mo device access fee and the iPad shares data from your data plan 'bucket'? Our first iPad, an iPad 2, we bought with the Verizon 3G access, and then rarely used the cell access. Since then, we've bought wifi only iPads. I wasn't sure how the plans worked now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am thinking of upgrading from the iPad Air 2 to the Pro. I put in a request to Gazelle to sell my Air. I'll make the decision once that box arrives.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I believe the screen size is exactly the same. Apple simply took the 12" Pro and downsized it to the more familiar 9.7" format

Do you already own an iPad, Robert? If so, which one?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, you are in the same situation as I.

I mean, it's not a HUGE upgrade, but I like to keep up with the times.

Gazelle is offering about $245 for the iPad Air 2 with cellular capability, so I might apply that as a credit. Had I jumped on Gazelle prior to the announcement I would have gotten more for it.

I only need the 128GB model, not the higher capacity one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Both 9.7" iPads are the same size screen. :)

Ron, at risk of costing you more money...have you considered repurposing the old iPad? For example: where else can you get a digital photo system with online syncing for only $245? Or, as a dedicated touchscreen remote in your dedicated theater?

Given Gazelle's low prices and ebay's incovenience, I've now started looking for ways to get alternate value from leftover iPads.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Very much appreciate the suggestion. Actually, I keep my iPad in my Home Theater, so it already acts as an alternative remote to my Logitech Elite.

I just upgrade every year. Whether it be an iPad, Macbook or Apple Watch. It's generally a business write-off, so in the end, every purchase counts.

Haven't made up my mind yet. Was hoping to get a better price for my current iPad Air 2, but I jumped on Gazelle too late.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys!

I'm thinking seriously about upgrading from the iPad Air to the 9.7" iPad Pro. It will be used for a combination of entertainment and business. On the entertainment side I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the four speaker system when viewing Netflix and/or rocking to music.

On the business side I'm getting the Pencil for note taking, but keeping my current Zagg Bluetooth keyboard. I like the external Zagg, and the main thing I use the keyboard for is writing emails and logging in to my Office PC with LogMeIn Pro.

Anybody have any advice on a case? It needs to include a stand for a suitable typing angle with the Zagg.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks