What's new

iOS5 and iCloud users and review thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mattCR said:
Hack any iPad running IOS5...
Of course that link or whatever it is doesn't appear when viewing the site using an iPad.
So Matt would you be able to post a lik or a synopsis of what that is?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone else getting a lot a crashes on safaris since ios5?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mattCR said:
Hack any iPad running IOS5...
I think I figured out what that is......
"Betanews.com's Ed Oswald shows you how to break into a passcode protected iPad 2, and all you need is a smart cover. Apple has yet to acknowledge the flaw or provide a timeline for a fix"
That's not exactly a hack but a way to open an iPad that has a 4 digit code to keep it locked.
Probably a bug that apple will fix.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know how to solve this?
I have plenty of friends that have iPhones, very few have iPads. I send iMessages between our iPhones all day. I can send an imessage to their phone from my iPad, but when they respond the message only goes to my iphone. I know my iphone receives imessages directed to my phone number or my email, and my ipad only receives when directed to email. If that's the case, how does my ipad send a message to a phone number, but then it can't receive from the same phone number??

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope. We tried this weekend and can't make it work for phone# iMessages to go to iPad. I fyou can get them to use your email instead, then I think it all goes everywhere.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have an iPhone and an iPad, my wife just has iPhone.
When I send a note from iPad it goes through to her as a blue message, thats an iMessage.
When she responds, if she responds to the blue message it goes to the iPad. But if she responds to the green one it goes to my iPhone.
I haven't updated my jb iPhone yet so I'm sure that's is why I have a separation.
My guess is that this is part of the too many accounts per person thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know about jailbroken phones. But I think if the phone has both email and phone # setup, it will receive iMessages from both in a unified way.

I'll try to do a little testing tonight :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
THats right, I only mentioned the jb thing because since there's no jb yet for ios5 I haven't updated to ios5 yet on my iPhone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Email goes to all devices (if they're setup appropriately).
Phone # only goes to phones.

Tell friends to switch to your email to get iMessages to your iPad :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
On your iPhone you can set up the device to receive email imessages and phone number messages. Your iPad will only receive email versions. So you would still have them going to the iPhone.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
IOS5 is becoming a major pain in my side. No matter what user does it, it does seem to mean that all email accounts need to be re-setup. Asking end users to configure their exchange accounts all over is brutal. We've got about 400+ iphones in deployment now.. and the help desk people are now really chugging through the calls of "oh, so I upgraded to IOS5, and it just comes up with a screen.. do I use iCloud or no? Ok, through that, what do I do next?" which wouldn't be so bad, except you get to the end "what do you mean I lost all my contacts" "they'll synchronize from exchange" "WTF! How long will that take! I'm at a job site in XYZ.." blah.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is that a corporate Exchange thing? As I descrtibed earlier, I had to do some jiggery-pokery to add iCloud email. But my personal Gmail came through unscathed. (I no longer connect to work email, so no idea how that goes.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, corporate exchange. So far, we're batting about 50/50 on phones that keep it and come through OK and those that have to be totally redone.

Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315440/ios5-and-icloud-users-and-review-thread/60#post_3864436
Is that a corporate Exchange thing? As I descrtibed earlier, I had to do some jiggery-pokery to add iCloud email. But my personal Gmail came through unscathed. (I no longer connect to work email, so no idea how that goes.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got an email question that's been unanswered since I got my iPhone: How do I send-as email under my personal domain name?

I've got my domain name (shoutingman.com), which I forward email from my registrar to Gmail. My Mac and iPhone are linked to Gmail by IMAP for email. Gmail and Apple Mail can send email as from my personal domain name. But iPhone mail always sends and replies as from the Gmail (gmail.com) address.

Is there any way to send-as from iOS using my personal email address while using Gmail? or iCloud email?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
AWESOME thread! LOVED the links to Macstories with the "hidden" features (are they Easter Eggs if they are on a phone and not a DVD?)!!!

A few issues I've had since installing iOS5 on my iPhone 3GS:

Occasionally I get "error" messages when sending text messages that state the text could not be sent because I am not using the 10-digit phone number format, yet when I check the contact list, I have them set up that way (some of my local in-area code contacts needed to have the area code added...)

I have only seen the "instant camera access" icon on the locked screen maybe three times in the past two weeks! I'm not sure why it doesn't show up (an AWESOME feature I would love to use!)

So much of the upgrade had made me realize that switching to a Mac/iPhone was one of the best decisions I ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks