What's new

iOS5 and iCloud users and review thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgrade everythign last night and this morning (iOS5 on iPhone 4, Lion, iCloud, itunes). Mostly smooth, if slow ~8 hours to do it)

But...
* iCloud Calendar entries are all 3 hrs too early. I found that iCal / iCloud default to Pacific time. i fixed that, but it didn't fix the calendar entries. Don't know what to do.
* can't figure out how to share iWork documents into iCloud. Do I use the iWork Beta? Drag them into iTunes? Don't understand this yet.
* iCloud backout doesn't work yet.

Generally awesome, but some important bugs remain -- at least on during initial launch.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Omg all the enhancements with notifications and the low battery warning still cannot be suppressed or at least turned into a banner? Wth

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Also, I do not seem to have the switch to do a location based reminder, is this a 4s feature only?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dennis*G said:
Omg all the enhancements with notifications and the low battery warning still cannot be suppressed or at least turned into a banner? Wth
Um, that would be a horrible idea. The battery notification SHOULD interrupt you, unlike every other note.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK so I can set sounds when I get a new text, can I set a different sound when I have a text/iMessage outgoing?
BTW, this is not going to end well:
http://www.macdrifter.com/2011/10/star-wars-alert-tones/
=)
Also, when I buy a tone on my iPhone my iPad doesn't get it. If I click on it in the iTunes store on the pad it says I've already purchased it, do I want to purchase it again, not do I want to download it again for free...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My calendar problem fixed itself after a few hours, after changing the timezone set.

iCloud backup worked yesterday evening; uploaded 750 MB overnight.

I screwed up my calendar with BusyCal and lost several older entries.

Setup a shortcut for messaging my wife, to let her know I'm coming home from work.

I'm very pleased with iOS5.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Macstories explains the multiple ID runaround better than I can:
http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-icloud-tips-sharing-an-apple-id-with-your-family/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Given home sharing, is having multiple IDs in a household that big of a deal? I buy apps, my wife buys apps. We both have each other's stuff. We get the updates. (It's a minor nuisance, and we have to know each others' password, but it's been a good solution for a year now) And we can share calendars, to have a unified hosuehold view.

Because we want to have separate accounts -- my wife needs her own computer, iPhone, iPad -- I've not experienced and don't understand the sharing issues around the multiple IDs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm missing calendar entries on my iPhone that are in iCloud. I probably goofed up the Conflict Resolution process during setup.

Any suggestions on how to force a sync / overwrite from iCloud onto iPhone?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315440/ios5-and-icloud-users-and-review-thread/30#post_3860621
I'm missing calendar entries on my iPhone that are in iCloud. I probably goofed up the Conflict Resolution process during setup.

Any suggestions on how to force a sync / overwrite from iCloud onto iPhone?
And it fixed itself. Sometime this afternoon, the missing events appeared on my iPhone.

PhotoStream appears to auto-sync photos into iPhoto on my computer.
Wifi syncing is now copying audio books to my iPhone.

I'm increasingly impressed with iOS5. If it will auto-update my podcasts, it will be essentially perfect for me.

This weekend maybe I'll get my wife's iPhone and iMac updated, and switch her from MobileMe, and make sure our calendars are shared. And I need to decide if I'm keeping BusyCal.

And I have to decide whether to use Reminders or stay with ToDo app, that I'd been using the past year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam Posten said:
Turning my brain into a marshmallow.
I have an iPad and wife has an iPhone 4, so do I but jail broken so I'm not updating that yet.
She has an id for her stuff and I do for mine.
One thing that has changed that I can tell is the find iPhone/iPad. I can't figured how to track both on the same screen as I could before.
To track her I have to log into track with her id, but that turns off the track on my iPad.
I used to be able to bring all three up on one tracker screen but not now.
Also, is there a way to add previous photos to the photo stream.? I can't see a way right now.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The only thing I thought was weird is that photostream is limited to 1000 photos or at least that is where it stopped for me.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I thought it was it was part of the 5GB backup. So it is a cool thing but at the same time not. It takes too long to upload just to have them disappear in a month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reminders. Ugh. I'm unimpressed with its design. And I'm having weird conflicts between it and my ToDo iPhone app. And ToDo can't / won't / doesn't use iCloud ($20 a year for syncing when iCloud is free?!?!) I'm stymied for what do with for To-do's / Reminders with the new system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks