What's new

iOS in the car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think That will require new honda hardware to support. Presumably we'll see that in five years with the next model refresh :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I found this overview of CarPlay for 2016 VW's. (As a sidenote, it's a dealership I saw advertised regularly when I lived in Rochester.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ford had said they were bringing CarPlay in the 2016 Sync system. But all I see so far is Siri Eyes Free, indicating Ford remains uninterested in the Apple CarPlay or Android Auto systems.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?vehicle=escape&year=2016

SYNC 3 brings the power of Siri Eyes Free and your IPhone ®48 into your vehicle. Make or receive a call, reserve a table at your favorite restaurant, audibly send a "see you there" text and more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Clinton McClure said:
Like I said before, music and occasionally phone is all I need so CarPlay should work fine for me.
And really, for music and calls, all the current integrated systems work fine. I've been traveling lately and almost always, if the car has Bluetooth, it will connect easily and play music and do phone calls fine.

My desire, or maybe hope, is really about maps, and for a little tighter integration with my podcast and audiobook apps.

And because it's cool and high tech. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Last year I replaced a dead Kenwood head unit in my Celica with a bluetooth enabled Alpine. For the past year, I have been streaming music and podcasts from an old iPhone 3gs which I repurposed as an iPod. The Alpine came with a hands-free mic but I never took the time to mount it. All my hands-free phone calls were handled by a Motorola bluetooth speaker that clips to my sun visor. The Motorola died last week so yesterday I dug out the box my Alpine head unit came in, found the mic and installed it. The installation wasn't very difficult. The mic is clipped to the headliner and located just to the driver's side of the rear view mirror. I ran the wire under the headliner, through the driver's side A pillar and fished it through the dash behind the steering column and gauge cluster. Now I can use my 6s for all music, podcasts and hands-free phone calls. No need to lug around the old 3gs and a charger.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“The glacial pacing of the auto industry relative to the consumer electronics industry is at least partly to blame, but it’s not the only culprit; after all, GM now offers CarPlay on a majority of the vehicles that it sells. A deeper issue, I believe, is pride — a sense that automakers are at risk of losing their identities by ceding control of the dashboard to Silicon Valley. The companies that have not committed to offering CarPlay or Android Auto are often quick to mention that they’re only acting in the best interest of their customers and trying to deliver the best experience possible.

But here’s the thing: They have proven time and again that they are not able to deliver the best experience possible. It’s not their fault, really — the cards stacked against them are manifold: The slower development cycle, the learning curve of a UI entirely different from that of our smartphones, the inability to achieve scale with a proprietary in-car app platform. But while this plays out, customers — everyday car buyers – are the pawns in a global tug-of-war. No one wins.”

http://recode.net/2015/10/07/carmakers-should-embrace-silicon-valley-and-stop-pissing-off-customers/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. As much as I have wanted CarPlay, I am so glad that I don't have it.

Apple really needs to work on this. Has this video gone viral enough that Apple is looking at this?!!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
That was an amusing video. I can't recall, do you have to plug both the Android and Apple phones into the car via USB to utilize this software, or just the iphone?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow. As much as I have wanted CarPlay, I am so glad that I don't have it.

Apple really needs to work on this. Has this video gone viral enough that Apple is looking at this?!!
I still wish I had it. Because imperfect CarPlay is still better than janky Auto-maker nav system and Bluetooth interface.

A year in, ive quit using my Subaru integrated map system and just use Apple Maps navigating by audio because car maker maps are so sucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks