iOS in the car (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Timely article commenting about tech some drivers rather do without:

(Per a JD Power survey)

Responses from more than 4,200 vehicle owners and lessees after 90 days of ownership revealed 14 high-tech features that one in five owners do not even want in their next vehicle, including Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto, in-vehicle concierge services and in-vehicle voice texting.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/25/drivers-spurn-some--vehicle-technology-advancements-jd-power-says/32336859/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“In many cases, owners simply prefer to use their smartphone or tablet because it meets their needs; they’re familiar with the device and it’s accurate,” said Kristin Kolodge, executive director of driver interaction & HMI research at J.D. Power. “In-vehicle connectivity technology that’s not used results in millions of dollars of lost value for both consumers and the manufacturers.”

Did you catch that part: people would rather use their iPad while driving rather than have a safer, integrated solution. It's not that they don't want texting while they drive, it's they want to txt on their Android phone instead of through the car while they drive.

I think this is very much am issue of people resisting change and not wanting to deal with new, even potentially better features, rather than an active animosity towards features.

Had you asked people a decade ago if they wanted internet on their cellphone, many would have said no. And yet here we are.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Dave hit the nail on the head. On my hour long commutes to work and back each day I see plenty of people texting while driving so the demand is there.

To quote Adam Carolla, "There are people who don't care, don't know and don't care to know".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Apple CarPlay review | The Verge”

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/4/9258013/apple-car-play-review

Not a detailed review. Basically, CarPlay is mediocre but automaker's systems are worse.

The biggest recurrent complaint is that Google maps isn't supported. Based on rumors of ios9, I'm hoping that that will be mitigated partly by improvements in Apple maps traffic updates while driving.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm excited about CarPlay and would like to see it in action. I have to agree with the author of the article about lousy in car touch screens. That is a huge problem and further complicates an already poor factory UI experience like Ford Sync. Like Dave, there is a chance that I may be in the market for a new car in the spring and if so, it will either be a Honda with factory CarPlay or a Toyota (in which I will install an Alpine head unit with CarPlay). Maps is not an issue for me because I use a Garmin Nüvi GPS for out of state trips.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I test drove the Honda Accord EX-L V6, which includes CarPlay (and Android Auto) as standard feature.

CarPlay was an unmitigated disaster.

With my iPhone connected, I couldn't change the car's volume. FM Radio. Podcast. Apple Music. It was all stuck at too-loud, and the volume controls had no effect. I mean, they toggled a digital slider scale up and down, but nothing happened.

With my iPhone connected, but the car in normal FM radio mode, the car would no longer display FM radio information on the lower screen as it should. The screen was blank. This made it practically impossible to tune the radio station. Only by disconnecting the iPhone would the radio work again.

My CarPlay apps were there: Overcast and Audible. Cool. But after I started Overcast, I couldn't change audio. I had Siri switch to Audible. I selected a book and nothing happened. The screen came showed a Pause button, but wouldn't play. I tried switching to Apple Music and nothing worked. I had to unplug and replug my iPhone (I was parked in my driveway). So after reconnect, I tried changing from Audible and nothing else would work.

In addition, the navigation process in the apps is rudimentary. It takes many taps to, say, drill down to a podcast or a book. I don't think it simply shows the last listened to book. Siri would launch the app ("Siri, play Audible") but couldn't start the book. It didn't feel safer than what I do now, tapping my iPhone in its windshield mount, connected by USB cable. The plus, I guess, is it's a bigger screen with bigger targets?

And screen placement -- a Honda design -- is low and centered in the car. From a first-take, test-drive perspective, it was not comfortable for navigation. I was taking my eyes off the road more than I do with the iPhone in a mount.

I've had high expectations for CarPlay for over a year. My first encounter with CarPlay was wholly disappointing. I hope the failings were specific to this one car. I've not read anything like this in reviews. But even accounting for Honda glitches, the system didn't impress. It's confusing jumping in and out of CarPlay to the car's base features. There's "CarPlay Home" and then there's "Honda Home".

Wow. What a bummer.

A few snapshots of CarPlay:

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That's disappointing to hear Dave. I would still like to try CarPlay for myself. My car audio needs are quite a bit simpler than others'. I only use the music and podcast apps. I hear a future firmware upgrade may allow bluetooth connectivity so I can keep my phone in my pocket like I do now with my current Alpine head unit. I wouldn't bother using Maps because I use a real GPS mounted on the windshield.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. I recommend you give it a go and let me know how it is.

I'll test drive another CarPlay-enabled Honda sooner than later. And I intend to test drive other CarPlay cars like the VW and Hyundai. Hopefully I just got the one bad unit.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Selfishly, I am happy to hear CarPlay was a disaster. Just bought a vehicle and it does not have it. So, I am not missing anything.

However, realistically, I am sorry it did not meet your expectations.

No doubt, this is technology that needs time to further involve. No doubt, this was rushed to market.

Check your PMs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Haha. Yeah, it can be nice to learn that new tech you skipped isn't a major miss. Been there :)

My hope is that CarPlay itself is decent, and the problems were Honda specific (most likely, that one model had a glitch. Or even my iPhone has a glitch. At the time I didn't think to plug in my wife's iPhone.) I'll try more this Fall as new models arrive showrooms.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry about that. Link apparently changed after iMore posted. This kinda works. After 30 sec, it starts partially repeating itself. VW is having problems with its YouTube account I think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks