What's new

iOS in the car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the status of CarPlay? I'm in the market for a new car when iphone and android integration is avaiIlable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata features both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This video is a VERY good comparison of the two:

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I didn't know that. Hyundai Sonata is a decent car, though not my first choice. But my timeline for buying a car might have moved up to early 2015, so I will consider this as I sort out what my priorities are.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is CarPlay and Android Auto in the 2015 model year, which would have launched the past month or so? Or is coming out calendar year 2015, which would presumably be the 2916 models?I searched the Hyundai website and find no mention of CarPlay, and priced up a Sonata, with no listing of these features in its tech options.Unfortunately I still find no real info of when any cars are getting these features.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I message posted in Apple's support forum regarding CarPlay and the 2015 Hyundai Sonata (it was posted on November 8):

"My wife recently purchased a 2015 Sonata Sport. I had heard about CarPlay but for some reason the sales people at the dealership were either not saying and playing dumb or just did not know what I was talking about when I asked about it. So I decided to e-mail Hyundai Motor Corp directly. The following is what Hyundai Customer Support sent me in an e-mail on November 1st: "CarPlay will launch during the 2015 model year on Sonata vehicles with navigation systems. After CarPlay launches, previously-purchased 2015 Sonatas with navigation will be updatable. We will have an announcement on timing and the update process in the near future."
I hope this helps!"

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Very interesting. Some good news, then.Another possible option is to do after-market upgrade with the Pioneer NEX line. But that's not ideal.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Over the past few years, we have rented several cars from Budget to take on vacations. Since Budget has a deal with Ford, we usually end up with a vehicle with a Sync system. I have no good things to say about Sync. Unresponsive touch controls and they repeatedly drop bluetooth connection to my iPod. I really hope Apple's solution is better.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I honestly have no idea what is powering the system in my Jeep with Uconnect, some kind of Android I guess, but it works great even with my iPhone and iPad...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I get rental cars pretty often, about monthly. They're typically mid- or full-size sedans with base features. I've used a number of the smartphone / MP3 player integrations. I'm surprised to read that the Ford system is considered among the worst, since compared to what else I've seen it's pretty easy to use. The worst I've seen have been in Chrysler, Nissan, and VW.

The Chrysler was inscrutable. I think it actually didn't have bluetooth at all; but the standard stereo has a bluetooth label on it. I fought with it for 20 minutes in the rental car garage, before giving up and connecting with an 1/8" stereo cable. (In my messenger bag I always carry a USB cable, 1/8" stereo cable, cigarette-lighter-to-USB power adapter, and standard iPad AC adapter.)

Nissan was a wreck. It told me to download an app. But even then I couldn't get bluetooth to work. I gave up and went with USB. VW, I recall having a non-obvious stereo system.

Toyota is usually straightforward. Ford is also pretty easy when it's got the MyTouch system. And it's steering wheel controls work as expected, without lag noticeably worse than any other system.

Chevy, through a rental agency, tends to be low-end for me and I think doesn't usually have bluetooth. Likewise with Hyundai.

And as barebones as it is, I remain very happy with my Crutchfield aftermarket adapter for my 2004 Honda Accord. Plug phone in, audio starts. And to my delight, I found the fwd/prev steering wheel buttons operate Overcast (podcast app) forward/reverse
features as they should. So I paid for it and switched from Downcast, my previous go-to podcast app.

But reading about the Ford system and my experience with the myriad mediocre bluetooth car systems, I really want CarPlay and AndroidAuto in my next vehicle. I'll have the car for ten years, so hopefully that combination will endure.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, given Hyundai's announcement today, I have serious doubts that CarPlay and Android Auto will actually show up in those 2015 Hyundai Sonata models. Hyundai is revamping its infotainment user interface and promises to incorporate CarPlay and Android Auto in 2016 models. They will be showing their new technology at the Consumer Electronics Show next month:

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/42512/hyundai-to-debut-display-audio-system-at-2015-consumer-electronics-show

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mark Booth said:
Well, given Hyundai's announcement today, I have serious doubts that CarPlay and Android Auto will actually show up in those 2015 Hyundai Sonata models. Hyundai is revamping its infotainment user interface and promises to incorporate CarPlay and Android Auto in 2016 models. They will be showing their new technology at the Consumer Electronics Show next month:

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/42512/hyundai-to-debut-display-audio-system-at-2015-consumer-electronics-show

Mark
Thanks for the link.

If 2016 models go on sale Fall of 2015, this doesn't break my plans.
Hyundai’s exhibit (North Hall, booth #2818) at CES will be open Jan. 6-9, 2015.
I need solid info early 2015 to tell me if there's good cars for sale in by Fall of 215 with CarPlay. If there will be, I will wait. If info is not firm, I may have to buy something in February and gamble on deeply regretting it six months later.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Perhaps some of the problem is that it is a Pioneer unit. I've never found Pioneer head units to be terribly reliable. I would be more interested to see an Alpine Car Play review before passing judgement.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think Apple went for "too simple" first gen carplay. As I said my Uconnect unit is fantastic and I have no idea what kind of OS is under the hood, but it works great even with Apple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks