What's new

iOS 8 (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I like it Sam. I don't store photos on my phone and it was tedious having to delete from both the camera roll and photo stream. This way, I can snap a few pics, let them go to the cloud and only have to delete them from my phone once.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have any opinion the iOS 8 changes to Camera Roll yet. But I do wonder why Apple makes the camera, iCloud, synching -- the whole thing -- so obtuse. Before iOS 6, it's was simple: connect my iPhone to my Mac every week to copy all photos videos into iPhoto, and remove them from the camera roll. Easy and done.

With iCloud? I don't know. Maybe they're synced to iCloud. Maybe they're also on my Mac via photo stream. Maybe I need to manual sync because iCloud is on vacation. Oh, and there's videos, so I need to physically sync, regardless. Unless the whole WiFi sync to my Mac is doing all this; I'm not sure how it's different from iCloud.

Apple does such a good job normally of eliminating complexity, but they are completely bamboozled by photos.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Before iOS 6, it's was simple: connect my iPhone to my Mac every week to copy all photos videos into iPhoto, and remove them from the camera roll. Easy and done.
Turn off photostream and it still works that way.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Family Sharing glitch we had, that lead to me spending 2 hours talking with Apple Care yesterday...has now lead to my wife being on and off the phone with Apple Care all day today. Her iCloud is borked.

In resolving the family sharing problem, we both were told to sign out of iCloud and then back in, on our iPhones. Yesterday, I found that had caused duplication of categories in Contacts, Reminders, and Calendars. I was able to sort it out after a few hours. The calendars was the troubling one.

Today, we found that her account was similarly confused, but much worse. On mine, it was a simple duplication. Categories were doubled; the doubles either had no entries or were a complete duplicate. I deleted the duplicates on my iPhone and on iCloud.com and I logged out of iCloud on my iMac and logged back in, and that fixed it.

But her system is damaged. Categories are duplicated, but the entries are split across them. It's not a simple doubling of entries. And some of them can't be modified. Deleting a double does nothing; it regenerates automatically. And because iCloud doesn't have an "merge" capability, the seeming simple solution can't be attempted.

She's been working with Apple Care on the phone for maybe four hours today.

I give Apple credit on this: they've got a help line, you get a real human promptly, they call you back after doing research, and they're not persnickety about when AppleCare expired.

Assuming one could have problems with a Google's systems, while using a Samsung Galaxy phone and a Dell laptop...who would you call for help? Who would help you, and not just point to the other person. If there is a problem with a Google system, is there any recourse for support?

This is a terrible Apple problem -- and reinforces my view that they're struggling with "cloud", perhaps more than Google is struggling with "hardware". But Apple does try to help you out when things go blooey.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife's iCloud problem got fixed. She got an Apple person on the phone that knows about iCloud calendars and he got everything fixed up. Whew.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Today an audio book (in Audible app) triggered Siri, and Siri began transcribing the book as it was read aloud. I rewound and repeated it a few times but couldn't figure out what piece was sounding like "Hey Siri". This evening, I couldn't repeat it.

Odd. Very odd.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a battery drain problem with iOS 8.0.2. I did a simple check last night, and I had 20% drain over 8 hours, with the phone untouched (not charging). Normal behavior should be 5%, unattended overnight.

I've got the usual suspect dialed down: Facebook has background updates disabled.

I had similar problems when my 5s was new, on iOS 7. It sorted itself out eventually. Maybe I just have to wait for iOS 8.1.

Any insights?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm not seeing a battery drain on my 5s running 8.0.2. The only bizarre problem I am experiencing is the portrait orientation lock bug. It can be temporarily solved by starting a slide show and immediately stopping it or by rebooting the phone, but it returns after a few minutes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Battery drain problems are typically a minority of users (thankfully for everyone else :) )

I haven't seen the orientation bug. What's that do?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
When you turn your phone sideways to view photos or videos in landscape mode, the phone screen stays locked in portrait mode and the picture or video is scaled down so it can be seen completely. It's really annoying.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I've yet to update to the latest version of iOS 8. I've held off in case there are any issues. Do you know if the battery life issue you're experiencing is widespread? I just got 4 days, 13 hours with 13 hours of usage and I don't want to screw with battery life if there's no reason to. That was light use but I'm still getting over 2 days with medium usage.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just upgraded our iPad Saturday. Works well. No difference in battery to me.Lasts longer(before and now) than the Samsung Tab and LG Pad. (The Pad is a lot smaller than the other two witb 1/3 the battery)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jim_C said:
I've yet to update to the latest version of iOS 8. I've held off in case there are any issues. Do you know if the battery life issue you're experiencing is widespread? I just got 4 days, 13 hours with 13 hours of usage and I don't want to screw with battery life if there's no reason to. That was light use but I'm still getting over 2 days with medium usage.
It's not a universal problem, and I don't think it's widespread. I don't see massive complaints at MacRumors. My wife hasn't noticed either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks