What's new

iOS 4 now live! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me, it's a fair compromise at the moment.

I don't want WeRule or GodFinger running in the background, unbeknownst to me, processing my crops and followers, and draining my battery. For now, unlimited multi-tasking is not a big need for my pocket computer :)

I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. New uses, new tools, new toys will come out and something will convince me I need freer multitasking.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Still havent figured out how to make email come through as a thread. anyway

Witht he new ios4 and the latest itunes it seems that every time i try to sync it also does a backup.

normally i would hit the little x and cancel backup then sync continues, not anymore, cancels backup and sync, so how do I stop it from trying to backup every sync?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ken Chan
The majority of Apple's "consumer" customers don't know or don't want to know which apps are "safe" to run in the background. And even if you do, you can forget that it's running.

I am a professional computer programmer, who has done OS level programming, lots of it in assembly language, for a good part of his career. Yet I don't want to have to worry about managing background tasks on my freaking phone. No, I don't want the "option" because having the "option" invariably leads to having to deal with it. I want a headache free phone, and am more than happy to accept the resulting limitations in exchange.

If I want to worry about process management I have my pick of Stratus VOS, Solaris and Red Hat Linux machines at work and C and Ruby on Rails code. I want my phone to manage itself, thank you.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Biggest iOS 4 design frak-up: losing the double tap home for phone favorites shortcut. What were they thinking???

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They were thinking "simple way to activate multitasking and app-switching from any application".

As a new iPhoner, I don't miss what I never had ;)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Hating ios4 on my iPod. I removed the jailbreak, restored a fresh ios4 and battery life still sucks, plus a lot of my apps do not work. Tried to go back to 3.1.3, but apple is not allowing that.

So I guess I am hosed to remain on 4 for good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

So this is what the threaded emails look like, are'nt they supposed to show as one email?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I have a threaded message, in the inbox, there's a small grey box with the message count just next o the > arrow. Tapping the Inobx message opens up the thread and shows a list of the included messages.

Either your threading system isn't working, or it doesn't parse identical titles as threaded, instead requiring a "Re:" before the title to indicate replies. I've not played with it enough to say.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thanks Dave.

I do get that on my iphone but not for email notices from forums like htf and dvdtalk for some reason.

I expected this to be just exactly the way google mail(gmail) shows but not so.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So...

since I upgraded to 4.0.1 I have lost data services through edge and 3g.

I can nly get on the 'net using wifi and apps needing edge or 3g connection don't connect including the mail app.

anyine else.

I did a full reset and still nothing but wifi.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I did mine, works fine on 3GS as well as my wife's 4, ditto. No idea what's happening with your phone.

I'd make a genius appointment pronto if you live near an Apple Store -- if you figure something out in the meantime you can always cancel it later.

Originally Posted by TonyD

So...

since I upgraded to 4.0.1 I have lost data services through edge and 3g.

I can nly get on the 'net using wifi and apps needing edge or 3g connection don't connect including the mail app.

anyine else.

I did a full reset and still nothing but wifi.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Arg, It's not out for the touch, so I still have to live with crappy 4.0 and my apps crashing out, crappy battery, exchange bug.

If you have a 2g touch, DO NOT go to iOS4!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by TonyD

I did mine, works fine on 3GS as well as my wife's 4, ditto. No idea what's happening with your phone.

I'd make a genius appointment pronto if you live near an Apple Store -- if you figure something out in the meantime you can always cancel it later.
Well I figured something out.

I returned the iphone at best buy for a new iphone,

turned it on and everythng was fine.

Then after I restored using the most recent backup, I lost the 3g and edge again.

so I went back to the first backup that appears in the drop down.

most of my settings and everything was then set to whatever it was 9 or 12 months ago, but the 3g was working.

so I went up 1 by 1 through the backups until the most recent two.

There seems to be something in the most recent 2 backups that is corrupting 3g and edge, this also happens to be when I upgraded my last iphone to ios 4 and then ios4.01.

Looks like I'm going to backup with the one from May and then figure out what needs to be re-upped onto the iphone.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Bula

Just delete the update file, and redownload it.

On a mac, it's in user/library/iTunes/iPhone software updates

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Also try deleting the corrupt backup.

iTunes, preferences, devices.
Highlight, delete, ok.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
You also could try resetting network settings.

Settings, general, reset, reset network settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks