What's new

iOS 4 now live! (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have an iPod Touch 2G and upgraded to iOS4. Not all the OS features are available, like multitasking, screen rotate lock, etc. Pretty much it's just the addition of folders. But even so I've noticed a drop in battery life. I can still get through a day of normal use, but the battery life is noticeably closer to needing a recharge by then.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Dennis*G

Is it causing problems? Because apps, except for some specific cases, don't continue processing and computing in the background even though they're "multitasked". They're frozen, taking up RAM, until purged because something else needs the memory.

I think this is going to be one of those Apple way-of-life things. In various key ways, to use an Apple product you have to stop worrying about the details and just use it and trust it. :)

I just put the neew ios on my 3gs. I can live without the superfluous stuff from jb ut the backrounder from jb runs immensely better then the multitask feature.

On backrounder everything just continued to run until I actually closed it. I could close an app without going into the mt feature, on the ios I have to open the mt window to close apps.

So I have to press the home button twice then hold an app down then press the app again to close it. Too many steps.

Also I can't figure out how to make emails show as threads. I do have the "organize by thread" turned on.

For example I have 2 replies to the droid or an iphone topic in my email. On google mail they show as one email with 2 replies, isnt this what the new email on iphone should do too?

The good things I've noticed are the shutter is much faster, the folders feature is very good. the wallpaper feature works very well. I'm sure I'll notice more that I like after a while.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by TonyD

On backrounder everything just continued to run until I actually closed it. I could close an app without going into the mt feature, on the ios I have to open the mt window to close apps.

So I have to press the home button twice then hold an app down then press the app again to close it. Too many steps.

On iOS4 there is no reason to close apps. It handles it for you. Except for certain specific cases, they don't continue processing in the background. The may take up RAM, but the system will auto-purge them as needed to make room for a new, live app. If you're constantly closing "background" apps, you're doing it wrong :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dave I know that's how this works, but I don't like it.

Problem is that I have several apps that I need to keep running even when "closed".

One being the AOL radio app, I use this to listen to the local sports talk channel. the app turns off when closed. With Backgrounder from JB everything that was closed would still run in the background, so i could close the aol app and go into any other app and still hear the radio, can't do this with the multitasker on the ios4.

I have 2 games that continue to earn points when closed but still running, it earns points faster then when really closed.

I only did the update to ios4 because I have a bit of damage on the case and dust is getting in.

Since I have the best buy warranty i needed to get the jb off before I take it in to cash in on the warranty, so I knew I was gonna have issues with ios4 compared to jb.

My opinion on multitask is that it's a faux backgrounder application. MOst people either don't care or don't know that the app really isn't put in the background but it's just put in a state of suspension until you bring it back out.

Other then this allowing the app to reopen a little faster I don't see that point of that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I forgot to add that the aol is a cbs radio product. there are three of these. yahoo music, cbs radio and the aol app. they are all the same thing but only the cbs radio app has been "ios4 tested" as it says on their site it still doesn't play in the back ground.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm confused. I thought you were saying you don't like iOS4's background interface because it's annoying to keep closing everything; to which I said there's no need to do that. Then you say your apps aren't updated yet and don't run in the background, and you need a JB'd iPhone.

If you're using iOS4, there's no need to manually "quit" apps. If you want background music from a 3rd-party app in iOS4, you have to wait until it's updated -- like Pandora (poster child for this) has been.

Or you can use the JB solution, which apparently requires manual management of backgrounding tasks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No, you misunderstood or I was confusing in explaining.

in ios4 I open an app and it just hangs around behind the scenes without really being "on"

In jb everything stays "on" unless you manually close it.

To do that I could either double press home button to close or use an app manager app to view and close each app that you want to close.

The app mamager didnt have an icon it was a setting. I had it set so I would doube tap the top of the screen and the managaer would pop up showing all running apps, a tap on the x and app would close.

I don't mind having a bunch of apps running at once I just would like it if they really were running.

Don't like Pandora.

I like the aol radio because there are specific genres of music or talk and actual radio stations from most major cities.

I just want apps to actually continue to be on while in the background not be in suspended animation.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
either that or hope a jb becomes available that I can use.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
uote:

No, you misunderstood or I was confusing in explaining.

in ios4 I open an app and it just hangs around behind the scenes without really being "on"

In jb everything stays "on" unless you manually close it.

To do that I could either double press home button to close or use an app manager app to view and close each app that you want to close.

The app mamager didnt have an icon it was a setting. I had it set so I would doube tap the top of the screen and the managaer would pop up showing all running apps, a tap on the x and app would close.

I don't mind having a bunch of apps running at once I just would like it if they really were running.

Don't like Pandora.

I like the aol radio because there are specific genres of music or talk and actual radio stations from most major cities.

I just want apps to actually continue to be on while in the background not be in suspended animation.
What confuses me is you complained about how Apple made it difficult to close multi-tasking apps and you were constantly having to go through the hoops to work with the system. I guess you were really complaining about the jailbroken multitasking kludge?

Because in iOS4, there's no need to manually manage multitasking apps.

I think I've lost the thread and don't know what we're talking about here :) I guess it boils down to this:

Jailbreak and deal with whatever clumsy or nice interface you get from the hackers behind it.

Or live with iOS4's multitasking limitations but enjoy its effortless usability.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Either way, using it the way you want will eat batteries alive.

And BTW, be careful out there, respected sources (Brian Chen etc) are saying on Twitter that many of the iPhone4 jailbreaks out there in the wild right now contain malware...

http://twitter.com/bxchen/status/18456331586

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh well, somehow lost in translation.

I prefer the way it work in jb. the app is called Backgrounder.

I can open an app and it really stays ON even when I go out of the app.

When in an app, all i have to do is double press the home button to really close the app.

in Ios4 everything stays in suspended mode until I reopen the app, never really still runing in the background, with exceptions including apps like Pandora.

Backrgrounder is far from kludge(?).

From what I can tell after using a friends droid X the android phones have a Backgrounder program biult into the phone that keeps apps running until you decide to close.

I think the multi tsk on iphone is just Apples way of, "well we'll give you backrground apps but only the way we want to, and that's not really apps running in the back ground."

Dave I've been using the iphone since day 1 and snce then users have been asking apple for apps to run in the back, now finally they ad it on and it's not real background running.

What does multi task on the iphone really do? As far as I can tell with some exceptions l;ike Pandora,

mt doesn't do anything but allow for quick app switching.

I like that feature but I also want to be able to run all my apps in the back ground If I want.

I finally jb my iphone just a few months ago and wish I did it much earlier, there are much more things the iphone can do then what Apple let's you do.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Either way, using it the way you want will eat batteries alive.

And BTW, be careful out there, respected sources (Brian Chen etc) are saying on Twitter that many of the iPhone4 jailbreaks out there in the wild right now contain malware...

http://twitter.com/bxchen/status/18456331586
The batteries were fine when I had j on my iphone, I didn't notice any difference.

I'm not sure who brian chen is, but there are the right places to get the jb from, most people don't read up on it I guess and just download anything.

I don't have IP4 yet so no worries anyway.

Oh well gotta go to work, so that's it for now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

That's what confused me (emphasis added). :) The key thing being that's wholly unnecessary: you generally don't need to manually close apps in iOS4.

This is my first iPhone and have no experience with the JB backgrounder. I'm told it's great, if you want that functionality.

But so far, as I expected, the most important aspect of "multitasking" to me is fast app-switching and apps restoring to where I left them. And iOS4 does a bang-up job of that.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken

What does multi task on the iphone really do? As far as I can tell with some exceptions l;ike Pandora,

mt doesn't do anything but allow for quick app switching.

I like that feature but I also want to be able to run all my apps in the back ground If I want.

From the iOS point of view, the problem is with the apps. AOL Radio playing in the background is something it can do -- they (AOL) just have to tie into the available hooks to support it.

Apple says there are about a half-dozen things it will support in the background, like audio, GPS, and task completion. Nothing is allowed to "run wild" in the background. This way you don't have to "think about" or be "surprised by" something in the background that kills the battery or the phone's performance. Instead, you have "up front disappointment" that the app that you're running hasn't been updated to support an allowed background task (the app's fault); or that the app task is not allowed to run in the background (Apple's fault).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From experience, I support this choice. The run-away background caused me major problems on a business trip...

I had a Palm Zire, and installed a new MP3 player to try out. What I didn't know is pre-empted the Palm's auto-off feature, and stayed on and waiting for pause/play commands my entire flight to LA. So when I got to LA, my battery was completely dead. And because of how Palm's worked that wiped out its memory, so I lost all my contacts, my games, my itinerary: everything that made the Palm useful. Now I'm in LA and don't have my business associates #s, my hotel reference info, etc. It was a big bother.

So for now I'm happy to not have to divine the inner workings of multi-tasking apps and trust a sane OS to protect me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That wouldn't happen on the iphone, when the battery runs out it just shuts off.

This backgrounder stuff falls under, Apple knows what's best for us, as opposed to letting us decide on our own.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
And with a sealed battery and a proprietary dock connector, there are fewer options for restoring the power.

The majority of Apple's "consumer" customers don't know or don't want to know which apps are "safe" to run in the background. And even if you do, you can forget that it's running.

It's like dialog boxes that ask security questions -- they don't work, and we all suffer for it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So you're saying be should b thankful we have Apple to look out for us and not allow us to run apps in the background?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks