What's new

iOS 4 now live! (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Gonna install it on my old iPhone 3G when I get off work. Interested in trying out multitasking before my iPhone 4 arrives Thursday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have my 3gs jb'd so i'm not sure if I want to put the new os on it yet.

I might need to sell it, probably worth more with the jb on it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Funny, just went to the Apple site and it still says COMING SOON

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I'm curious as to how it's going to run on my old 3G since it will be passed down to the wife Thursday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh okay, will hook my iPhone to iTunes when

I find out that iOS4 can be jailbroken.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, updating my touch right now. I wont see multitasking as I have a 2g touch, but should still be interesting.

I was really hoping it would be for iPad also, but it appears that wont arrive till fall.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Todd H

I'm curious as to how it's going to run on my old 3G since it will be passed down to the wife Thursday.

Word from the MacRumors forum is that iOS 4 runs slowly on the 3G. For that reason, I am not upgrading.

- Steve

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I installed it on my 3G and speed wise, it is a mixed bag. Navigating through the apps screens seems a little bit sluggish, but not always. However, App launching feels slightly faster (just barely so).

From my brief experience with it so far, I would give it a thumbs up for iPhone 3G users. From what I experienced, the small slow downs in some situations are not bad enough to justify not upgrading IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

-Keith

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Greetings from iOS 4 on my 3G.

Speed feels a little faster than before. And getting everything organized into folders cleaned things up a bit. Not bad at all.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
when you organize your screens thru itunes can you make folders there too to put suff in? and does it keep your folders on that screen when you look? i really like tidying up my screen thru itunes instead of doing it on the screen of the ipod

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have 3.1.3 on my ipod touch that I just got in April. What advantage would the new OS have over my current version?

I'm an apple noob btw.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Markmel.

I also had 3.1.3, but I have a 2g as compared to your 3G. If you have never jb before, you will see some nice enhancements, multitasking and folders being the big ones.

After I went to 4, I have noticed I can now pick up wi-fi spots I could not before. I wonder if they boosted the antanea power?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

I installed it on my 3G and speed wise, it is a mixed bag. Navigating through the apps screens seems a little bit sluggish, but not always. However, App launching feels slightly faster (just barely so).

From my brief experience with it so far, I would give it a thumbs up for iPhone 3G users. From what I experienced, the small slow downs in some situations are not bad enough to justify not upgrading IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

-Keith

After using my 3G some more I think I will have to retract my previous recommendation. There are some definite slow downs however they are not consistent. Shutting down and restarting the phone didn't help.

I also noticed a bug. It turned off my passcode and my "erase data after 10 failed attempts" was turned off when I had it set to on. All other settings seem to have carried over.

-Keith

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I downloaded and installed it on my 32G 3rd generation iPod and the only thing I can't figure out is the Multi-tasking which it is supposed to be able to do. The folders work as described. I also thought that the iBooks app would be included and it was something that I had to download and install.

Other than that I really haven't noticed that much of change in the way of performance. I imagine the next version will have the A4 chip in it so the multi-tasking and performance increases are going to be included and noticeable.

Parker

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Double click Parker.

The best improvement is the camera speed.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, on my post I have to retract the better wi-fi, Someone had opened a window in the office and after some testing, that is what caused the signals to show up, it was strange, I did not expect a window to block wi-fi signal like it did.

Loving the folders!

UPDATE.

HMMM.

I had everything put into folders just the way I wanted. I updated some apps over wi-fi and bam, ALL of my apps are now on the desktop, none are in the folders.

OK, another edit.

itunes thinks I have 8gb of music on my iPod, but when I try to access my music on the ipod, it says I have no music on it.

Great.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you use the TomTom app, you MUST get todays update, it crashes constantly on iOS4. Has sucked dealing with that for the last month, you guys are lucky they got it out so fast cause it was a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks