What's new

intersting news on LOTR status... (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Not likely. The extras would be moved to a second disk, as they would be on the BD release. And where does it say that features are being left off due to space limitation. No where does it talk about space, it talks about bandwidth, and goes into no detail.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I like both the theatrical and extended cuts of the movies. It depends on what I feel like watching at the moment. LOTR in HD and lossless sound? That's enough for me to grab them.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm with the majority here, I'm only interested in buying the Extended Editions (with lossless audio, then I have no reason to double-dip until a 4k format is being sold.). I don't care about IME or any extras for that matter.

Rolando

Screenwriter
wow, I can't believe that in the time it took me to write my reply so many people replied as well. Goes to show how much people love these films AND how strongly we feel about their presentation.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would have bet my right arm that that the Theatrical versions only would be released 1st. I'm with the majority after the far superior Extended Versions I can hardly even watch the Theatrical Versions anymore. The only theatrical I find equal is Two Towers because it has better pacing since this film had too many non-book scenes which was rarely the case with FOTR and ROTK extended versions. Being such a huge fan, these will be hard to resist so I will probably just Netflix them and wait for the Extended Versions which will probably follow 6-12 months later and there are rumors of Jackson adding more footage to those. I really want to see the full ending restored so it will give all the characters their due as the book did and not the rushed ending we have now that forgets about characters that we have watched for 2 or 3 movies and gives them no resolve.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Bittersweet news, to be sure. I actually never bought the theatrical versions, so I might pick these up anyway. I'd prefer the extended edition, though.

And I don't think this release is at all indicative of HD-DVD's limitations. At least it's now obvious that an HD-DVD can contain a film the length of LOTR and include a TrueHD soundtrack.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If this is true I am not suprised at all that the theatrical version will be first to HD! :frowning: Its nice that both camps will be able to own LOTR's in HD but this is nothing more than double dipping the consumer. I do however give them a big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for offering Dolby True HD 7.1 instead of using the old 5.1 mix. Like so many other HD releases have been using. While I am not crazy about the idea I may still end up picking up the theatrical. Right now I am thinking no but its hard to say what might happen once the movies are available.

It might not be to bad, LOTR's in HD with 7.1 lossless audio mmmmmm. :cool:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I love the EE's as much as the next guy, but I also love the theatrical versions. I will be buying these on release day without a second's hesitation.

I've double dipped before and I'm sure I'll be doing it again.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll hold out for the extended cuts too, the inevitable uber box set.

From what was said at CES they will be TotalHD discs, and remember, the Blu-ray and HD-DVD content is supposed to be IDENTICAL on those releases, so again we could see limitations imposed on the Blu-ray format because of HD-DVD, sort of like the identical file sizes (more accurate to say than transfer, since the same transfer could be encoded differently) we get with WB and Paramount titles on both formats (not that that has proved problematic at this point; though HD-DVD releases have picked up a few lossless audio tracks and features that weren't yet ready for Blu-ray--sounds like those kind of exclusives will disappear with TotalHD though).

By the time the extended cuts come out they might end up being Blu-ray exclusives if the format takes off, which might not be a bad thing if it means not handicapping it by making it exactly the same as the HD-DVD equivalent. I mean, now we're talking 7.1 soundtracks, potentially multiple language (maybe even multi-lossless-) 7.1 tracks per disc, like the multiple 6.1 tracks on the DVDs, multiple commentary tracks, etc., etc. Add in any other interactive features, bitspace is going to be taken up quickly on titles like these. And then you have to actually be equipped to use all those features, not just cram all the bits on one disc, or even spread them over a couple.

I guess I'll think of the first HD release as a teaser trailer for the extended versions. Would definitely be worth renting, much the way I borrowed or rented the theatrical DVDs.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I find it pretty funny that people are demanding the altered, non theatrical version of a series of films after all the hand wringing and complaining about the lack of a theatrical version of films like the Star Wars OT and Superman.

Myself, I prefer the theatrical versions of the LOTR films to the EEs. And nobody complained about the release strategy of separate LOTR releases on DVD.

I too am dissapointed about this news but then I'm not sure why I automatically assumed they would release the EE versions right away.

I'm doubly annoyed because I know I'm going to buy whatever they release due to my being such a fan of the movies which means I'll have another two sets of the trilogy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not demanding anything! I made a decision not to buy this release because I want a 50GB BRD with both versions on it and if it takes a 2-disc SE to do so then so be it. If there is a problem with me wanting my cake and eat it too then please forgive me for being a picky consumer.

Crawdaddy

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
Everyone seems to be all excited over this 7.1 track, but did no one read post #15? There are no HD DVD players with 7.1 ability. He's right, and there won't be any for the foreseeable future.

Is this audio track only going to be available on the BD side? And why make a TotalHD disc out of this film? WHV will be making duplicates for awhile, why not this one? Go to the triple layer format and put some extras on the HD DVD and that'll make room on the BD as well.

And just to make everyone mad, RotK was horribly edited. I had never read the books and could tell where scenes were missing. Once the EE was released, sure enough, there they were. TT wasn't as bad, but FotR was excellent in the theater and I still enjoy that version the best.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I guess I will have no problem finding this release when it hits the stores.:) I can see no issue at all with the release of the theatrical versions, as long as the EE versions follow. Then everyone can buy the version they want.

I would find it a problem if only the EE version was made available, without offering the theatrical release also. And it would be great to see both versions in the same disk set, but I find that highly unlikely.

Bottom line is, there just is not enough valid information released from New Line to make any judgement calls at this point. I am thankful they are finally jumping into the HD market place.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I hope New Line is decent enough to disclose it's release strategy for the EE's when they officially announce the TE's. That is, of course, assuming this information is accurate. As far as I know, this hasn't been confirmed yet.

New Line did things right when the original DVDs were announced. They announced the release of the Theatrical Edition and at the same time told us that an Extended Edition was coming several months later.

If they are releasing the TE's first, then they'd better show the consumers the same respect they did last time and be upfront about when the EE's are coming.

I personally find the EE's to be the superior versions of the films, but I still wanted to keep the TE's in my collection to be a completest. After all, it was the TE of Fellowship of the Ring that was nominated for best picture, and I was frustrated that it, the TE, didn't win. It was the TE of The Return of the King that won best picture, etc...

Even though I prefer the EE's, I still feel the TE's are worth owning.

At this point, the most consumer friendly method of releasing these would be to release the theatrical and extended editions together, just like the new release of the films last Fall. If it doesn't go that way (which this rumor indicates), then they should at least tell us when to expect the extended editions.

For some perspective, remember last Fall when the marketing machine for the new releases said that The Lord of the Rings would not be released on high definition until 2008 at the earliest? Well, if THD discs have given them incentive to move things up and actually get something out this year, then just getting the theatricals isn't so terrible .... as long as we do get the Extended Editions in 2008. Any longer than that would really stink. So for the THD haters, keep in mind that without THD, maybe we'd not be getting the theatricals until 2008 and would then be waiting until 2009 for the EE's.

So I think I'd probably get these if they are only the theatricals, but I'd be most likely to just watch them once and then use them to watch selected scenes (to get my LOTR fix from time to time) and for home theater demos, etc... But yes, it won't be until the EE's are available in high def that I'll feel like I have my definitive archival versions of the films.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Theatrical versions, huh? They can take this release and SHOVE IT then!!! I would've gladly paid a handsome sum for the EE versions on HD-DVD, but no way in hell will I buy the theatricals and then get "double-dipped" when the extended cuts come out in a year. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks