What's new

Interstellar (2014) (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Caught this last night, and I was actually kind of disappointed. It does feel like a classic Arthur C. Clarke novel and I love that, but the second half of the movie is kind of a mess. No spoilers here, but it's just that there were way too many plot threads, and it felt like the movie was rushing to pay them all off (which was the same problem I had with Dark Knight Rises). I didn't really have trouble following what was happening, but it wasn't playing emotionally.

And the sound mix was indeed terrible. I thought it might be a venue problem, but apparently a lot of people feel the same way.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
What a huge disappointment. So much conceptual stupidity, incredible plot points, clogged dialogue, sketchy characterization, idiotic physics (and metaphysics) and almost nothing lyrical or wondrous.

Btw, I saw this at a true IMAX, and the aspect ratio was mostly 1.85, with "big" scenes in whatever boxy (4:3?) ratio IMAX uses. Is the theatrical non-IMAX version 2.3x?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yeah... I'm taking back what I said. Considering just seeing this at my local yokel place. $5 instead of $35 (IMAX ticket and gas to get there)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just saw this in Digital IMAX and enjoyed it. The sound mix is a mess, although I was wearing earplugs because I've been fighting a headache for a week and Nolan is known for making movies that are too loud.

The Aspect Ratio of IMAX 15/70 is 1.44 and the non-Imax portions of this film should have been 2.39 as they were shot anamorphic 35mm.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw this last night and I was disappointed. I agree that the second half was a bit of a mess. And our sound mix was terrible as well. There's a good movie in there somewhere but it just couldn't find its way out.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Wayne_j said:
Dialog being drowned out by music and effects.
This. Whenever there was any type of sound effect or music playing dialog was almost impossible to hear.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't reflect what I heard but I had a great seat in the dead center of the theater. There were parts where the music was mixed high but it definitely never made the dialogue impossible to hear. I had no problem making out any dialogue (other than when I previously mentioned the handful of scenes where the rockets were firing and I chalk that up to a weird creative decision).

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Wayne_j said:
The Aspect Ratio of IMAX 15/70 is 1.44 and the non-Imax portions of this film should have been 2.39 as they were shot anamorphic 35mm.
The aspect ratio at my IMAX (Esquire Sacramento) was definitely NOT 2.39 during the non-IMAX AR (1.44) portions.

Why would that be? I definitely had the feeling that the image was crowded (though Nolan is not know for his compositional panache), and the image was quite grainy as well. Is it possible this theater was lopping off the sides of a 2.39 image to make it 1.85?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Todd H said:
Saw this last night and I was disappointed. I agree that the second half was a bit of a mess. And our sound mix was terrible as well. There's a good movie in there somewhere but it just couldn't find its way out.

Warner eventually fixed the audio problem on Dark Knight Rises's video release, so that we can not only hear Bane LOUDER AND CLEARER than the rest of the dialogue, we can now wonder why he sounds like Siegfried from the old Get Smart series. ("It's a new world, Mr. Schma...er, Wayne.")
Have a feeling the studio is now used to fixing Nolan movies after the fact, at least where the audio can be fixed.

One poster on another forum said Nolan's latest was okay, but, in his words, "a little too Shyamalan-esque".
After the real MNS's latest interstellar adventure, and judging from the current reviews, I can picture exactly what he means. In detail. :unsure:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like no IMAX showing for me this weekend (all sold out), but I'll still go see it at a conventional nearby theater tonight. *sob*

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
TravisR said:
That doesn't reflect what I heard but I had a great seat in the dead center of the theater. There were parts where the music was mixed high but it definitely never made the dialogue impossible to hear. I had no problem making out any dialogue (other than when I previously mentioned the handful of scenes where the rockets were firing and I chalk that up to a weird creative decision).
There were a few of the quieter scenes where I had trouble hearing the dialogue as well. I'm also not the biggest Hans Zimmer fan (especially when it comes to the incessant droning he usually provides for Nolan), so maybe that didn't help.

I dunno. This was a frustrating movie for me. I greatly appreciated its humanism and the attempt to bring such heady concepts into a big-budget popular entertainment. But I really do feel it collapses under its own weight in the second half. Again, there was just too much going on (often all at once), which made it difficult for me to stay emotionally connected to anything.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Damn.. Was looking forward to this.. Love Sci-fi, love appocolyptica, one of my favourite directors... not my favourite actors, but capable of surprising me..

I'll still end up watching it on Blu-ray, but.. dang.. :(

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the movie immensely, but also had sound issues. I believe it was the mix, not the theater. There were times in loud and even quieter scenes that I missed dialog that I'm pretty sure I was supposed to hear. FWIW, I sat dead center about five rows from the front in an IMAX theater.

The DigitalBits website posted this link to report issues with Interstellar and that's what I did.

Great movie though. Reminded me of Contact, which I loved too.

Peace,

DM

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
DavidJ said:
Does Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Have Major Sound Mix Issues?http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-sound-issues/ // I hope not.
Definitely had sound issues at my IMAX screening today. Important dialog was drowned out during some major scenes.

As for the film I liked it. Not as good as I was hoping for as I thought it was s bit muddled but still a worthwhile trip to the theater. Definitely want to see it again.

I would give it 3 1/4 stars.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recently had a sound test and my hearing was above average. Didn't help today.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I immensely enjoyed Contact (1997), Gravity (2013), Sunshine (2007). Something was not quite right in this one to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks