What's new

Internet Enabled TV's on network... need help (1 Viewer)

kev5n24

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin l
What I have:

Apple MacBook Pro (500GB HD)

Western Digital 1 Terabyte USB External Drive.

Which backs up my Macbook's entire drive with 500GB to spare, so i'd hate to HAVE to get another drive for this.

TWO (2) LG 42LE5400 Internet Enabled TV's

The LG TV is smart, it plays any movie i download right on the TV, no matter the format. All i have to do is connect a USB drive. I've done it with a thumb drive, but i don't want to have to connect and disconnect a small thumb drive every time i want to watch a movie.

The terabyte drive doesn't recognize if i plug it into the TV (probably because it's formatted for Mac), and i need it hooked to either my MacBook or my Airport Extreme modem to back up my MacBook at all times anyway.

What i want:

Is there a way to have the LG see it over the network?
I see the WD drive under "Devices" on my MacBook, and my LG is connected to the networks internet, so why doesn't it see it? Does a drive HAVE to plugged into the USB port for the LG to see it?

Is there a way to split the USB cable coming from an external hard drive, partition a few hundred gig in a manner the LG will recognize, and run it to the LG's USB port while also having it plugged into the Airport Extreme for MacBook network backup needs?

I know buying another external drive with an ethernet port would solve most of my problems. That would get it on the network for copying files to, and let me plug it into a TV, but i hate to have to buy another storage drive if i have 500 GB on one that will never be used.

I'd also love to play music across the network on both TV's simultaneously, not even sure how that could be done but if you have an idea let me know.

~peace~

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you gotten to page 98 of your owner's manual where it covers the DLNA server? You need to find a DLNA server for OSX since the Nero server software included with your TV is a Windows based product.

kev5n24

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin l
page 98,.. funny

You got me looking in the right area though, DLNA is where it's at. I'm giving Twonky a try at the moment. It's getting the job done but i hate the navigation on the TV, way too slow going through all the folders like that, and less I'm missing it theres no way to even rearrange the file structure layout on the LG TV to say a detailed type view. That's not Twonky's fault, but still i can totally see myself using my Apple TV for music playing. It has a much sleeker interface, but video playing over the apple TV is a bitch, thank god no more changing the video format just to play a show one time using iTunes. Thanks Rob, you the man!

Anymore info folks can give me on this topic to make things easier and more easily navigable would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks