What's new

Internal Blue-ray writes with high end audio (1 Viewer)

playingby

Auditioning
Real Name
Bart Van Mieghem
Hi, I'm new here :)
I've been searching myself ragged for this, but I can't shake this question.
Do all modern internal disc drives (PC) support (the ability to stream through SATA) the newer audio channels DD TrueHD and DTS HD MA 7.1.
I started wondering about this after I discovered that Asus only supports DTA-HD 5.1 (even on their internal), although it might be possible they mean they can decode it themselves.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
playingby

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Welcome to the forum! so you are talking about burning a bluray? It really shouldn't have anything to do with the drive. It would be the authoring software that would determine that. So long as your authoring software renders a compliant bluray disc, the burner should not care what audio codecs are in the content.

playingby

Auditioning
Real Name
Bart Van Mieghem
Looks like I made a typo in the title :( lol
It's not about writing to a disc, it was about what a writer (or player) can actually output from a Blu-ray disc it's playing.
Unless of course all internal players just output audio in PCM and then it doesn't matter what audio is outputted.
So basically I'm wondering how and what audio an internal blu-ray player/writer exports over the sata to the mainboard.
sorry for the mixup :s
playingby

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
ah, well even in that scenario it is still more about software. So It really depends on your setup. If you are playing the bluray and outputting the sound to your pc speakers than the playback software is doing the decoding. As long as the software has the decoder it don't matter what is on the disc. The software will have all the industry standard bluray codecs like DTS HD, DTS True HD and probably even older AC3. Supposedly the best bluray playback software is cyberlink power dvd. In a different kind of setup if you output digital signal from the sound card to a Receiver than your receiver will do the decoding. I personally did not have much luck with bluray playback on pc. Had little video hangs here and there and played too choppy to bare. I ended up buying a stand alone Bluray player and my bluray drive is currently not even hooked up. So to answer your question, The bluray player sends the audio information for the track that is selected to the main board and the playback software decodes it and sends it to your sound device in what ever format your speakers are set up for. However, there may be limitations on the software that won't allow certain features unless you have premium version of the program. It shouldn't matter though, you should still be able to get DTS HD or AC3 at the very least.

playingby

Auditioning
Real Name
Bart Van Mieghem
ok thanks :)
I always assumed your hardware had to support the export of specific signals so the software could pick it up :) But I guess it just dumps everything on the cable lol

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
yeah, you got it. The only thing requires hardware support would be like how a dvd drive plays dvd's and cd's and obviously not a bluray disc. And then a Bluray drive plays Bluray discs, Dvd's and Cd's but not HD-DVD's unless it was made for both formats. But then were talking about differences in Media types and the drives that read them. But just among bluray drives, there is no specific hardware requirement other than a bluray reader and playback software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks