What's new

Interesting tube vs transistor article (1 Viewer)

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Well I'm having a Schneider Weisse hefeweizen!!:D

I'm not going to even touch this debate between Chu and Yogi. I've been reading posts from these two on the SS vs Tube thingie for a while now, and it is obvious that they know more about this stuff than I could know in 5 lifetimes. I love reading it though. (I'm in the solid state camp though :b )

Yogi,

I loved Blondie's pizza pies when I lived out there. If your in the Bay Area, there's a Blondies just outside of Union Station, and there's another on Telegraph in Berkeley, pretty close to where the hippies sell their 'special' cookies!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Hell, we're not even debating. We leave important stuff like that to baseball and beer.

Yogi

Screenwriter

Yep :emoji_thumbsup: Let it be known, that no matter how much I have come to luv tubes (I used to be a die hard SS guy and refused to give into the tube thing for the longest time), I hold Chu in high regard when it comes to his knowledge of all things audio. There might be somethings that we never agree upon and debate to no end, but isn't that what this forum is all about?

In any case I would like to meet Chu some day and settle this VT/SS debate over a pint and some wings:)

And thank you guys for the pizza restaurant tips. I am going to try at least some of them.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I don't get half of Chu's analogies, for the record.

Also for the record, i have that issue, and it was a horrible horrible article. I think it was an embarrassment to publish it. This isn't 16th century theology meets atronomy.

btw, Yogi, good luck in Cali but I would highly disagree with the statement that Chinese food in SF is better than Chinese food in NYC. My girlfriend would rip my skin off if I even thought of agreeing with you.

Rich

Yogi

Screenwriter

How do you know your girl knows any better about food than she knows about receivers and DVD players. Just kidding.:)

Well I haven't done any DBT between Chinese food in SF and NYC so I can't say for sure. Maybe its the other things around SF that biased my opinion in favor of Chinese food in SF.:)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Chinese, next year is going to compete in the Chinatown dumpling eating contest, several family members own chinese restaurants...

There are only a few things that my girlfriend knows a lot about, and one of them is eating.

I have seen her eat more in an hour than i can do in a day. I have seen her eat like that for several hours. She is gulo gulo.

Rich

Yogi

Screenwriter

I hope she doesnt weigh like a gulo gulo. BTW whats a gulo gulo? I just thought its something big and heavy.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
gulo means glutton

gulo gulo is a wolverine...they were given that name because of their voracity...i was calling her that before i was dating to her because she is very vicious, the eating was coincidence.

Rich

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ain't nothing wrong with liking tubes. Like I've said before, I've got a thing for old tube stand-up radios and I'm still pissed at my mother from tossing two of them in the junkyard when I went away to college.
Let me know what analogies Rich. Maybe I misapplied them.
If there's one thing I've learned about restaurants is that one can find horrible and wonderful examples of cuisine in any city. Rich, you ever had Spumoni Garden's squares over in B'klyn?

Yogi

Screenwriter

So you are dating this girl that is vicious, eats like a glutton and has no clue about your hobbies. Its kinda like me luvin tubes inspite of their being hazardous (if you blow one you could take the whole circuit board out), full of distortions and unfaithful (to the true signal). Hope you got this analogy:laugh:. Aren't we all masochists in some way or another?:)

Just kidding Rich, I mean no disrespect towards your woman.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Chu, I actually only meant the last one in your 2nd reply to the thread. Basically, I don't know who half those people are is the problem.

Now that a buddy moved out of brooklyn, and i only went there for poker and parties, I only go to Brooklyn if Im going to luger's.

Yogi, if you want to debate it with Chu, and Im happy to moderate, the HT expo is the 20-23rd, cant think of a better place to do it...we can go to Zum Schneider's afterwards, great German place. Actually has some very good german beers on tap. Saw someone mention SchneiderWeisse earlier, they have it on tap. If you come early enough or stay late enough (the 18th and the 25th) they are going to roast a pig...good stuff. I used to live around the corner from there...god i miss it.

http://www.zumschneider.com/

thats not their full beer menu. i believe thats just the tap.

and as to my girlfriend, well, she has a her good points as well. and she is pretty much totally clueless about everything, except for her interests...i once made a joke out of the oscar meyer song to (about) her, and she didnt comment...then a few minutes later, I realized she didnt get it...so i sang the oscar meyer song, and she never heard it before...just for the record, she has been in the US since 1985ish and even though she is ESL, you would not know it unless she told you.

another weird thing about her, sometimes, she craves "americanized" chinese food...like chicken and broccoli...she makes me go to chinatown, she orders in chinese, and says that i want the chicken and brocc, everyone laughs at the big dumb american, the food comes, and im not allowed to touch it, she eats it all...i dont care really, i just eat the pork...but still, just weird...

sorry to hijack the thread.

Rich

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Mmmmm, Schneider Weisse on tap! Haven't found that yet. I really miss the German restaurant in the little town I just moved from. It's called Edelweiss. They have Erdinger on tap there, my fav.

Rich, if you like German food and are ever on the Big Island in HI, check out Edelweiss in Waimea.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I have not had Erdinger in ages, but I used to get it in bottles.

Edelweiss, named after a flower.

Rich

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Rich, does your girlfriend know how much entertainment value she is providing to us here on HTF? ;)

BTW Good signature quote

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I showed her some of them once...

She looked at me in wide-eyed disgust and disbelief, and said are you making fun of me?

and I said, would I have the courage to do that AND then show it to you?

she made her "i am confused, but to be safe, i shall glower at you" look an said, know you are stupid, but not that stupid...feed me.

I know her thought process went like this:

He has been trained to worship me, if he is making fun of what he worships, he is a blasphemer, I would not date a blasphemer, therefore, he must not be making fun of me. I shall punish him now.

Rich

Yogi

Screenwriter
Chu, tell me which amp will be better behaved with a reactive speaker load?

or this

Which one would you choose if you knew one costed half the other one?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well no speaker is completely reactive but there's just not enough information given to make an informed decision. My gut reaction would be that I wouldn't have considered either one and moved on to something else.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Well my choice of the words 'reactive load' was clumsy. Disregard those words and substitute them for 'real speaker load' and try answering the question again.

Well you dont have any other choice.:) You have to choose between the two. In any case the top one is one of the most well regarded SS amps and the bottom one is one of the most well regarded tube amps and the SS amp is considerably more expensive than the tube amp (thus breaking the common misconception that tube amps have to be expensive). Also its breaking the common misconception that SS amps don't modulate thier output impedance with real loads. It would be worth auditioning the SS amp and see if it has any of the tube midrange magic. Do you think it will sound more like a tube amp since you base the tube sound solely on their impedance modulation with speaker loads? Now, I'll have to find a dealer that carries the amp and take along my speakers for the audition.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No choices, huh?
Well then you'll have to excuse me if I happen to think that the Theta Digital shouldn't be held in such high regard. I think it's cost is in no way commensurate with its performance and quite frankly I'd wipe it's candy ass pretentious ways with a QSC or late 70's Sansui for starters and have enough money left over to fly over to California and treat you to some Chinese food and still have money left over. Anyways that's what you get with a SS amp when you've got an appreciable output impedance.
BTW, if I'm looking to drive speakers that have a significant reactive component I'd look for adequate power, a healthy phase margin, and stability into low impedance loads. Who knows, maybe I'd buy that tube amp and equalize out that midrange anomaly ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks